Student affairs and lyceum committee bring MLK commemorative speaker

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education.”

These words, said by one of the most famous civil rights leaders, is what brought students, parents, children, and seniors together Jan. 20 in Harrison Auditorium.

Student Affairs and Lyceum Series Committee sponsored the M.L.K. Commemorative Program in which A&T recognizes, remembers, and celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Each year the M.L.K Planning Committee hosts a program in which a speaker addresses the true meaning of leadership and the importance of education. The speaker the Committee chose this year was Dr. Steve Perry.

“What drew us to Dr. Perry is that he is the epitome of education and leadership and that’s what Dr. King was all about,” said Carl Baker, co-chairperson of the M.L.K. Planning committee and also graduate of A&T.

Dr. Perry is mostly known for being the founder and principal of Capital Preparatory Magnet School that continues to have an astounding 100% graduation rate, while also having a student body that is made up of more than 80% black and Latino students. He has achieved many more awards, and is an Essence

Best Selling author, to go along with his long list of positive attributes.

Almost every seat on the first floor of Harrison Auditorium was filled with anticipated listeners waiting to hear what the CNN Education Contributor had to say.

Perry was very casual and entertaining during his entire address. He covered issues that ranged from stiletto-wearing, cleavage-showing females to du-rag- wearing, pants sagging males in classroom settings. Perry also pointed out the parents that don’t show their children love and leadership. All of these showing one’s true character and lack of professionalism and revealing the reasons African-Americans continue to be stereotyped.

“I’m just being real. I don’t know how to be any other way,” said Perry.

Most of all, he mainly accentuated the importance of education.  He informed the audience about the high college dropout rates among African-Americans as well as the high dropout rates among minorities in inner-city schools.

“Don’t succumb to the lowest common denominator…every single day there is somebody that will tell you that you can’t do it.”

Dr. Perry also took time to elaborate on the so-called No Child Left Behind (NCBL) Act created during the George W. Bush Administration. 

While NCBL was created to improve the performances in elementary, middle, and high schools and also make sure that no child is stuck in a failing school, it is clear that many children in the neediest schools are being left behind.

“It’s criminal. It’s educational neglect,” Perry said referring to the government allowing failing schools to stay open which in turn constantly sets children up for failure.

The audience, which consisted of African-Americans and Caucasians, all listened attentively as Dr. Perry delivered his speech.  When he concluded, he received a standing ovation.

“I think this program was much needed. He provided information and was very inspirational. He talked about issues that many people think about but are too afraid to talk about,” said Ashley Haith, senior Political Science major and native of Greensboro. “I would really love to see him here again.”

Dr. Steve Perry stressed the significance of students being involved in the community for the future of education. In the words of Dr. Perry, “It matters where you end, not where you start.”

• Karmen Robinson