Aggies look to bury the Bison

The Aggies (4-2 3-0) will travel to Washington, D.C., to take on

the Howard Bison (3-4 1-2) in their homecoming on Oct. 22.

The Aggies (4-2 3-0) will travel to Washington, D.C., to take on the Howard Bison (3-4 1-2) in their homecoming on Oct. 22.

After three straight blowout victories against MEAC conference opponents, the Aggies will look to continue their unforeseen success against a developing Howard University football team. 

The Howard Bison are led by first-year head coach Gary Harrell.  Harrell, a Howard graduate, is the team’s all-time leader in receptions and was a deadly punt returner during his playing career.  Harrell has had previous coaching tenures at Howard (2002-2004), Texas Southern (2004-2006), Florida A&M (2006-2008), and Morgan State (2008-2009).

In their most recent conference game, the Bison pulled out a 29-28 victory against the Florida A&M University Rattlers on Oct. 8.  The Bison showed great resilience as they overcame a 21-0 halftime deficit by scoring 29 points in the final quarter of the game. 

Howard uses a 3-4 base defense that creates pressure from several angles. The Bison defense played well holding the FAMU offense to 185 total yards including 27-yards on the ground. 

The Bison defense was also able to create timely turnovers, with an interception and four fumble recoveries. 

But the Bison will have to figure out a way to stop A&T running back Mike Mayhew who has dominated the ground game against MEAC opponents, compiling 478 yards and five touchdowns in only three conference games.  Sophomore running back Dominique Drake has emerged as a productive complementary back in the past few weeks as well.

Slot receiver Larry Raper will attempt to continue his success against Howard, after posting 109 receiving yards and three touchdown receptions against Delaware State last week.

Expect to see Bison quarterback Greg McGhee utilize the triple option and speed option to gain yardage on the ground. 

Linebackers D’vonte Grant, Ben Binder, and Brandon Hover will look to stop the Bison’s inside running game. 

Howard wide receiver Willie Carter has compiled 477 receiving yards on 44 catches and has five receiving touchdowns. 

Aggie defensive backs Justin Ferrell, Terrence Webb, Isaiah Martin, and Travis Crosby will look to stop the outside run and also maintain depth in their coverage assignments to defend the short and play-action passes that the Howard offense uses.

If the Aggie offense can produce some early points and protect the ball, it will be hard for the Bison to stay competitive.  The Aggies are highly motivated to spoil the Bison’s homecoming game. 

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Kalyn Hoyle,Register Reporter