Changing your relationship with food: a weight loss success story

(ARA) – These days, it seems everyone is talking about weight loss. As over two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese, the trials behind weight loss success stories are often relatable to those interested in improving their overall health.

One such success story is former fast-food addict Scott Lamm who knew it was time for a change when he found himself weighing nearly 300 pounds. This was a far cry from the 170 pounds and 31-inch waist he sported in high school. Scott turned to his brother, Brad Lamm, a board-registered interventionist and member of Dr. Oz’s “Dream Team” to develop a comprehensive program that would not only help him lose weight but also change his relationship with food in the long term.

“Being overweight is a lot of work in itself because it is hard for your body to carry around all those extra pounds, so it made sense to me to work to get rid of that extra weight and make my life better,” says Scott, a youthful father of three and grandfather of two.

Scott gradually began to relearn when to eat, how much and when to stop through a comprehensive program that included a strong personal support system, healthy diet and exercise. He was on the road to success – but still had a long way to go – when Brad suggested he try alli, the only FDA-approved, over-the-counter weight loss aid as a tool to help him become more conscious of the foods he ate and help boost his weight loss success.

As Scott took true accountability and dedicated himself to a thoughtful weight loss program, he was able to lose nearly 100 pounds over a total of 17 months, including five months using alli.

America’s growing obesity crisis

Scott was far from alone in his struggle with weight. Obesity is a growing national crisis that affects about 72 million U.S. adults and places a staggering $147 billion strain on the health care system. According to a study recently published in the American Journal of Preventive Health, obesity is as much of a public health threat as smoking.

“Many Americans struggle to lose weight, and it can be tempting to try to find a ‘quick fix,'” says Dr. Caroline Apovian, director of the Nutrition and Weight Management Center and co-director of the Nutrition and Metabolic Support Service at Boston University Medical Center. “To not only lose weight but keep it off in the long term, people need to learn a healthier approach to food and overcome habits that may have been with them for life.”

For Scott Lamm, the recipe for weight loss was a comprehensive program combining support from family and friends, healthy diet and tools to aid in success along the way. Dr. Apovian shares even more tips to keep in mind for a gradual, sustainable weight loss program.

* Talk to an expert. Your doctor or dietitian can help you set realistic goals to make you feel like a winner in the short term and help you stay motivated in the long term.

* Find support. Online or in-person support groups, as well as encouragement from family and friends, can make all the difference in the world.

* Change your relationship with food: Take a healthier approach to eating by becoming more conscious of how food choices affect the body.

* Become more active. Work with your doctor to create an exercise plan that’s consistent with your goals and abilities.

* Find tools. Visit www.myalli.com for more information on how alli can help boost your weight loss success.