Puerto Rico debates legalizing marijuana

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Doz- ens of people marched Saturday through Puerto Rico’s capital amid growing support for a re- cent bill filed by a former police chief that aims to legalize mari- juana for personal use, unleash- ing an unprecedented debate in this conservative U.S. territory.

The crowd marched to the seaside Capitol building, where Sen. Miguel Pereira filed a bill this week stating it should be

legal for those 21 and older to possess up to one ounce of mar- ijuana. The former federal pros- ecutor and corrections secretary said possession cases are cost- ing the government money, not- ing that 80 percent of inmates are serving time for non-violent crimes.

His comments have polarized the island, with some legislators demanding his resignation.

“It’s outrageous that some- one who was elected by the people tries to use his position to cause addiction, sicken and

destroy Puerto Rican society,” Sen. Itzamar Pena said.

Critics say the proposal would further fuel violence on an island of 3.7 million people that reported a record 1,117 kill- ings in 2011, with police saying that 70 percent of killings are drug-related. Others expressed concern that police, teachers and doctors would smoke while working.

“This measure has to be stud- ied extremely carefully,” Sen. Jose Perez Rosa said. “It’s not like alcohol, where acceptable

levels (of use) exist.” Currently, those charged

with marijuana possession can face up to three years in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Justice Secretary Luis San- chez Betances did not say whether he favored Pereira’s measure, but he said the govern- ment should find alternatives to the current law.

“This opens a public debate,” he said.

Gov. Alejandro Garcia Padil- la echoed a similar sentiment in a press conference this week.

“I don’t have a problem with an open debate about the possi- bilities, benefits or drawbacks of such a measure,” he said, adding that the issue is not a priority for his administration.

Last year, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize marijuana for those over 21. The law, howev- er, bans the public use of mari- juana.

Puerto Rico joins a handful of other Caribbean islands, in- cluding Jamaica and St. Lucia, where there has been a push to

legalize marijuana use. In Jamaica, government of-

ficials previously reviewed rec- ommendations to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana. The proposal has the backing of several church lead- ers, but it has not gained traction on an island that remains the Caribbean’s largest pot exporter to the U.S.

In St. Lucia, supporters also have spent more than a decade lobbying the government with- out success to endorse a com- mercial hemp project.

• Associated Press