Home losses mount for A&T baseball

If the North Carolina A&T baseball team could have the first two innings back from Thursday’s game with Princeton, there would be some edits done.

The Tigers scored four runs over the first two innings and held on to win 5-3 at War Memorial Stadium. In the first inning, Nick Rogers walked the first two batters he faced. Sam Mulroy did not let that opportunity go by as he singled through the left side for an RBI single. An error helped the Tigers take a 2-0 lead as Andrew Whitener scored.

The second inning didn’t go much better for N.C. A&T. Even though Rogers opened the inning with a strike out of Matt Connor, a passed ball on the third strike allowed Connor to reach first.

After a walk to Tom Boggiano, Whitener walked to load the bases.

A groundball off the bat of Mulroy looked like it would turn into a double play. Both the throw to first was wide, allowing two more Tigers to score for a 4-0 lead. It wasn’t until the sixth inning that the Aggies got on the board.

A James Howard walk put the winning run at the plate for the Aggies. But Hines flew out to center to end the game. Rogers opened the inning with a double to left. Sophomore Xavier Macklin singled up the middle to score Rogers to put the Aggies down 5-1. In the ninth, a James Howard walk put the winning run at the plate for the Aggies. But Hines flew out to center to end the game.The Aggies dropped to 6-10 on the season.

The day before during their home stretch, the Aggies were defeated 9-2 to Radford Univeristy.

Kelvin Freeman went 1-3 at the plate and scored on e of t the Aggies only run in the lost. 

• Staff Reports