How to add ‘green’ to even the most paper-based office

Are you looking for a way to make your graphic design job a little more “green”? While you usually have no trouble with colors, going green in a career field like graphic design may seem like a challenge. You may be surprised to learn there are a variety of really simple things you can do to make your office, and your designs, more eco-friendly.

The first step is to create a sustainable office for your sustainable graphic design projects. By simply taking time to recycle old papers, avoid wasting resources, unplugging unused electronics, and by shutting down your computer at night, you can start to live a more “green” existence. Another easy thing you can do in your office is utilize the sunlight. Try to situate your desk under a window so you can make use of the natural light. It may even help improve your mood.

How to add ‘green’ to your graphic designs

While keeping in mind that every client is different, there are ways you can implement eco-friendly solutions as a graphic designer. Your clients may even start to recommend you for taking such initiative. On your next campaign try these solutions:

* Use e-mails – While postcard campaigns are traditional ways to advertise, an e-mail campaign can be equally as effective and way more environmentally friendly.

* Print on recycled paper – If your client insists on printing, try to use recycled paper. In most cases the client won’t even be able to tell the difference, and you can feel good about making positive choices. Also, by only printing what you or your client needs, you reduce wasting of precious resources.

* Use green printers – A few reputable printing companies are eco-friendly. By using recycled papers and inks made from soy and vegetables, you can create and print designs that are safe for the planet. Some companies even have sustainable banners for trade shows and advertisements.

* Utilize the Internet – By putting company catalogs online you save paper, printing costs and the planet. By using e-coupons instead of printable coupons, you can reach a new market and save money.

* Advertise with “green” – When creating products for advertising purposes, consider using environmentally conscious ones. For example, placing your logo on a reusable tote bag encourages customers to go “green” and use your company.

You can find millions of simple ways to start turning your graphic design career into a more eco-friendly profession. Take small steps, and in a short time you will start to notice a huge difference.

Information in this article was provided by Brooks Institute. Contact Brooks Institute today if you’re interested in developing marketable knowledge and career-relevant skills with an industry-current degree program. (Brooks Institute does not guarantee employment or salary.)