Aggies need a choice in order to have a voice

In our state constitution, Article II provides that, biennially or every two years, citizens have the right to choose their representation in the N.C. General Assembly. 

And for years, most citizens have taken advantage of this most basic democratic right of “choice” through the balloting process.  I say most, because for the students of A&T and surrounding communities that make up the state’s 58th House district, the past sixteen years have not offered any choices.

For most seniors, there hasn’t been a choice on the ballot since your time in kindergarten.  Though many Aggies voted overwhelmingly for “change” in 2008, on the local level the idea has been virtually nonexistent.

For almost a generation, Aggies have been locked out of the political process because of their lack of choice.  Since 1994, Aggies have not been afforded the chance to decide who understands their struggles and offers the best plan to create jobs.  In the News & Record, it was estimated that since 2000, the Greensboro-High Point metropolitan area has lost over 20,000 jobs. 

We, of the Ralph Johnson for NC House 58 campaign believe that a choice is well overdue.

On May 4, Ralph wants your support to begin to restore the clarity of your voice in Raleigh.  He plans to work to create jobs locally, so Aggies won’t have to fear unemployment after graduation.

Ralph understands we need new ideas in Raleigh, and he wants your vote to bring the “change” you supported in 2008 to Greensboro in 2010.-Curtis A. Thomas    

• Curtis A. Thomas