I still like John Mayer, tweet about that!

One of latest stories that haveĀ  come out involving celebrities is about John Mayer and his interview with Playboy Magazine. Let me preface this by stating I am a John Mayer fan, have all the albums, listen to his music on a regular basis, have seen him in concert once before and have tickets to see him next month.

After the word got out of his ā€˜ranting’ and people starting tweeting about him, many deemed him a white supremacist or racist because of his words.

With any argument that happens, whether the pro or con side, it is compulsory to find out the facts.

From what I have heard and read from many people about the interview is not true. The interview spread like a game of telephone, each person adding something new and missing entirely what he said. Let’s review what his words were according to the official transcript on Playboy.com.

When asked if people thought he was a “douche bag”, Mayer described himself as very. That’s it. Just “very.” Adding to that he said, “But I think the world needs a little very. That’s why black people love me.”

In prompting him to explain his term ā€˜very’, the interviewer asked, “Because you’re very?” Then Mayer went on to explain a previous conversation where someone asked him, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?”

Pause. This is where it gets sticky.

Mayer continued, “And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ā€˜We’re full.'”

Okay. To all those who completely offended, I understand your argument, to an extent. Was it wrong of him to use the N-word? Yes. Do I think he should’ve used it? No. But in no way, have I been convinced that John Mayer is racist by those comments.

I have seen several tweets directed towards me (because my followers I am a fan) that have paraphrased Mayer as saying he does not like black women. Let’s see that the transcript says.

The interviewer asked “Do black women throw themselves at you?”Ā 

Mayer replied saying “I don’t think I open myself to it. My d**k is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a f**kin’ David Duke c**k. I’m going to start dating separately from my d**k.”

From that text I can see why people think he does not like black women. However, another reporter at The Register brought up: Would you be mad at a black man for saying he only dates black women? Probably not. So why get upset because a white man said he only likes white women?

Mayer also told the interviewer he thought Holly Robinson Peete was “gorgeous” and describes Kerry Washington as “super hot.”

My problem is not with people being offended, it is with people not understanding, the type of person John Mayer is.

If you have never seen him live or seen an interview- he is extremely sarcastic! I witnessed him say the worst thing that ever happened to human beings is a camera phone. Why would you really take this man seriously in everything he says? It doesn’t make sense.

However, I am, in no way, justifying his words. He was wrong for saying nigger.

If you haven’t followed up with the news after this interview was released, Mayer had since then apologized, using his Twitter,

“Re: using the ā€˜N word’ in an interview: I am sorry that I used the word. And it’s such a shame that I did because the point I was trying saying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself. It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it, because I realize that there’s no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged.”

After this, during his concert in Nashville, T.N. he broke down and apologized to his fans and band.

I take his apology as sincere and accept it.

If you have chosen not to forgive his mistake and stop listening to his music because of this, I feel sorry for you. You will be missing out.

The bottom line is that I think he produces great music. I refuse to stop listening to the album because the man made a mistake and has since apologized for it.

So Mar. 15 I will still be attending the concert, showing up an hour early and listening to John Mayer, probably for the entire day.

• Jasmine Johnson