Cheap flights to Northwest cities can bring you closer to the pleasures of the coast

You’ve heard songs about the sunny California coast and you know the Alaskan frontier is gorgeous, but California can be crowded and Alaska can be a little chilly and expensive to travel to. Have you ever thought about a vacation along the coast in the Pacific Northwest?

With three major cities in the area — Portland, Ore., Seattle and Vancouver, British Columbia — it’s not too difficult to find cheap flights that will give you easy access to the coast. With Seattle being a major hub for international travel from the U.S., cheap airline tickets can be especially easy to come across.

The Northwest Coast can be rainy in the winter, but that rain allows luscious vegetation and some of the largest trees in the world to grow in the area. And the coast sees more than its share of sun during the summer months, while its northern location keeps temperatures moderate and days long. The following are a few places to check out during your trip to the Pacific Northwest Coast.

Vancouver Island

The largest island on the west side of North America is accessible by ferry from Vancouver and multiple points in Washington. The west coast of the island is known to have some of the best surfing on the West Coast. Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, features gorgeous architecture along its waterfront harbor, as well as beautiful public botanical gardens.

The Olympic Peninsula

Across the Puget Sound from Seattle, the Olympic Peninsula can be accessed by car or ferry. Visitors can breathe some of the freshest air in the U.S., thanks to its remote location in the middle of a temperate rain forest, where Douglas firs can reach up to 250 feet in height. The snow-capped Mt. Olympus at 7,829 feet is only a short drive from the rocky coast. The area’s salmon-rich streams attract fishermen from all over.

The Oregon Coast

The Oregon Coast is for everyone to enjoy, as its entire 363-mile expanse is considered public land and features more than 80 state parks. The northern third of the coast features expansive beaches with unique rock formations. Cannon Beach, which was featured in the movie “Goonies,” contains perhaps the most interesting of those formations. The southern portion of the coast has more dramatic cliffs and is more rugged and sparsely populated.

San Juan Islands

This area boasts 450 islands, split between British Columbia and Washington. With 15 of them accessible by ferry, the area is a well-known sea kayaking destination, as it’s an easy way to hop between islands. Most of the islands are also quite rocky and feature dramatic elevation changes. In the summer, you can frequently spot killer whales, or orcas, migrating through the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

If you’re looking to plan a trip to the Northwest Coast, you can get started at Travelocity.com where you can find details on cheap flights or car rental and flight packages.

Courtesy of ARAcontent