Teen VOGUE or bust: Teen VOGUE’s Fashion University

Madison Avenue was filled with excitement as Teen Vogue enthusiasts, fashion students, and journalism hopefuls from all across the U.S. gathered in New York for Teen Vogue’s Fashion University. I was among those lucky students anticipating what the weekend had planned for us. Little did I know just how amazing my time in New York would be.

Teen Vogue Fashion University is a weekend seminar hosted every year for young girls who aspire to work in the industry. The age range was from 16-24 and the diversity of the students was impressive.  

Thousands of girls apply each year, but only a handful are accepted. Girls from as far as Missouri to Michigan all came here with open minds, anxious to absorb as much information as possible. The event took place at the Hudson theatre.

Throughout the weekend, students attend classes featuring prominent figures in the journalism and fashion world. Last years keynote speakers fashion designers Phillip Lim and Andrea Lieberman. This year Teen Vogue did not disappoint. Jessie Randall, Joseph Altuzarra, Coco Rocha, and Thakoon Panichgul were just a few of the fashion insiders included on the itinerary. Perhaps the highlight of the seminar was the chance that students received to sit down with Amy Astley, editor-in-chief- of Teen Vogue, and the Teen Vogue editors for a Q&A session. All were forthcoming with information and candid when asked for advice on subjects such as internships, journalism, industry issues, and schooling.

After each speaker was done with their classes, many stayed behind for pictures, advice, and to give words of encouragement. This seminar was also an excellent networking opportunity. Many vendors were on site that partnered with Teen Vogue. Some sponsors included Express, Topshop, Sperry, Bulgari, Pantene Pro-V, Olay, and CFDA. At the end of the seminar one lucky student was awarded a scholarship on behalf of the CFDA.

Friday and Saturday night, Teen Vogue hosted two private shopping events with Express and Topshop. There were DJs, discounts, vendors, and hor d’oeuvres.

For many students, this was not their first time. Michelle Ambrosio from LIM College says that she has been coming since the program first started. This year was a pinnacle for Robert Hurse of Michigan. He attended the university for three years  and finally took a picture with Amy Astley and asked her questions about the industry. Overall, this event was an amazing opportunity.

I am forever grateful for all the support from both my departments, the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Agriculture. I want to extend a thank you to Professor Wiggins for all of her support of the JOMC department and students.

— Email Kourtney at  [email protected]  and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Kourtney Pope Scene Editor