ATHLETE SPOTLIGHT: Kicker Cody Jones earns weekly honor

Cody Jones, a sophomore from Gastonia, N.C. was named MEAC Special Teams player of the week.

Punter Dominic Frescura went down with a season-ending knee injury on

Sept. 27 at Howard allowing Cody Jones to assume his new role.  

Jones’ new role as the Aggies punter, along with his other responsibilities, helped the Aggies earn 33-20-conference road wins over Delaware State.

Jones made all four of his field goals, three of his extra points and punted four times for an average of 53.2 yards to earn MEAC Special Teams Player of the Week.

It was Jones’ first-ever weekly honor from the conference. Jones’ four field goal kicks had distances of 32, 29, 28 and a career-long of 43 yards.

Jones said, “None of this would have been possible without a great long snapper and a great field goal and punt team, and the support of my awesome teammates.”

He also booted a career-long 62-yard punt in the third quarter.

Jones is 10-for-13 in field goals this season and has connected on his last seven attempts.

He is 19-for-26 (.731) on field goals in his career. Before missing an extra point against Hampton on Oct. 9, Jones had made 30 extra points dating back to last season.

He is 59-for-61 (.967) on extra points in his career.

The Aggies will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 1 p.m. against Florida A&M for the Greatest Homecoming On Earth at the Aggie Stadium.

— Email Janay at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Ayo_IsThatBoone

• Janay Boone Sports Editor