How to stand apart from the crowd in the post-recession jobs market

(ARA) – Though some economists are saying that the worldwide recession is over, it certainly doesn’t feel that way for those facing a difficult labour market. For those just leaving school or university, or who are facing redundancy, standing out in a crowd of applicants is a daunting challenge.

Employment rates have dipped low enough that it may be many years before they return to pre-recession levels, so it is important to look for ways to improve your chances of finding a job now and in the future. Consider these tips to ensure that you are noticed.

* Keep your CV fresh. When was the last time you gave your CV a thorough review? Before you start applying for vacancies, you should look it over, line by line, with a critical eye. You shouldn’t just correct grammar and spelling – you should also look for opportunities to use active, powerful language. Remember that CVs should not be too long or too short. Aim for one full page.

* Target your efforts. If you know what you want from a job, you can narrow down your search to jobs you really want. Consider whether you want to work in a large corporate office or a small organization, the hours you can work, the distance from your home, and whether it’s a profession you want to be in for a long time. With those things in mind, seek out jobs that meet as many of your criteria as possible and research the companies thoroughly. It will take some extra effort, but customising your CV and covering letter for each job to which you apply can improve your chances of moving on to an interview.

* Make yourself memorable. If you strike up a conversation with someone at a party, only to find there’s a vacancy at their company for which you would be a good fit, you should make it as easy as possible for that person to contact you. Keeping business cards on hand is an easy way to get your name out in a memorable way. Companies like Vistaprint offer high quality, low price business cards printing so you can customize with your contact information and design preferences, even on a small budget

* Never count out networking. Even if you’re shy or new to the jobs market, you can network. Let your friends and relatives know that you’re searching for a job, and ask them to think of any people or companies they know that are hiring. If they know someone who might be a good connection for you, give them your business card to pass along as an informal introduction. If you’ve been in the work force for some time, never pass up an opportunity to meet with former colleagues, who might be able to make introductions or have ideas about where to apply.

One of the most important things that you can do is keep a positive attitude. If you’re negative or not confident, it can come across in your correspondence and actions during an interview. Don’t be discouraged if you aren’t contacted by the first employer to whom you send your CV – persistence is a trait that employers look for in the people they hire. Equip yourself with a strong CV, order business cards online and devote yourself to the search like you would a full-time job.