Jazz artist Marsalis performs with orchestra on campus

Delfeayo Marsalis, the youngest of the Marsalis brothers, was the special guest artist at this year’s University Jazz Orchestra concert, held last Thursday in Harrison Auditorium. The concert, presented by the Department of Performing and Visual Arts and the Music program, also featured several members of the orchestra and was directed by Mondre Moffett.

“It is a pleasure to come to A&T and perform with Moffett and so many talented artists who are students of music.

I always enjoy being able to hear and perform with other artists, many of whom are just freshmen. That’s amazing.”

Several A&T students were featured in the concert, which paid homage in several pieces to jazz greats such as John Coltrane and Duke Ellington. Jerry Lowe gave a moving performance of “My One & Only Love” with Eric Meline accompanying him on the tenor saxophone. 

Other notable performances included LaKisha York, who beautifully sang “Harlem Blues” dressed in a blue dress and a flower in her hair. Casey Pope and Patrice Ware, both freshmen, gave notable performances on the guitar and drums, respectively.

Alumni guest performer Larry Q. Draughn Jr. made an appearance on the drums and Jason Foerman was another guest performing on the bassThe program also included a tribute from Marsalis to J.J. Johnson, an influential jazz trombonist, composer and arranger who has long been regarded as one of the leading trombonists of the Post-Swing Era.

Marsalis performed with his trombone alongside Moffett in a red velvet vest while playing some of Johnson’s classics such as “Say When” & “Stolen Moments”.

“I am really happy that Delfeayo could come and perform because it is a wonderful to have a member of such an influential musical family to bless us with a performance” Moffett said.

Marsalis, who was born in New Orleans, began studying trombone at the age of 13. After producing his first recording at age 17, he attended the prestigious Berklee College of Music and has produced many Grammy-winning collaborations with artists like Harry Connick Jr., and his brothers Ellis, Bradford and Wynton Marsalis.  

• laporsha lowry