Tips to avoid illness while traveling

Have you ever had your much-anticipated vacation turn into a disaster because you got sick on the trip?

It’s not uncommon to fall ill while traveling. New surroundings, interrupted sleep schedules, and unfamiliar food and water can all wear down our immune systems, making us more vulnerable to viruses, bacteria and even parasites. Unfamiliar places and activities can also make us more at risk of injury, as well.

Whether you’re staying “local” with a trip to someplace relatively close, like Niagara Falls hotels, or heading farther afield to a far-off international destination like Africa or Asia, you can take precautions to lower your risk of getting sick.

First, head to the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and search for any health warnings associated with the location you’ll be traveling to. The CDC provides information on diseases known to be active in an area, along with any recent outbreaks. For example, travelers to anywhere on the African continent and parts of Asia might find cautions against malaria, a disease transmitted by the bite of infected mosquitoes. You can also check with your doctor for advice on what immunizations you might need when traveling abroad.

Because of the large number of people traveling together in confined conditions, cruise ships must be especially vigilant about cleanliness and disease. The CDC also offers cleanliness and inspection information for many cruise lines and specific ships. So before you board your Europe cruise or Disney cruise, check out the ship’s rating at CDC.gov/InspectionQueryTool.

While traveling, take precautions to ensure you don’t eat something that will upset your stomach, since intestinal ailments are a common complaint among travelers. Avoid eating raw fruit or vegetables if you’re traveling in developing countries and stick with store-bought bottled water in those areas. In industrialized countries, where the safety of the water supply may be less of a concern, you should still be cautious about what you eat. While it’s a great experience to immerse yourself in a culture and try new foods, be aware of whether what you’re trying is undercooked. Avoid eating raw or undercooked meat or fish, especially in Asia and Africa, where the incidence of parasitic infection can be very high among food animals.

And just as you wash your hands regularly at home to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses, be sure to wash frequently while abroad. Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer with you for times when a supply of clean washing water might not be available.

Experiencing new places and cuisines is part of the appeal of traveling. With a few precautions before and during your trip, you can help ensure that illness is not among the souvenirs you bring home.