Guidelines to a successful V-Day experience

Ladies and gentlemen it is that time of year again. The time of year when love has a price and it better be more than just a two for 20 at Chili’s.

It is also the time of year single girls dread, finding themselves scrapping the bottom of yet another tub of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream alone.

Valentine’s Day is a time that brings joy to a woman’s heart and sorrow to a man’s wallet. Women sigh and men groan as the day that can make or break relationships creeps closer.

The amount of pressure placed on this day is astounding. This celebration was once a day of expressing love and gratitude for one’s partner, but has recently become a circus.

Men are forever doomed. Last year’s battle to go above and beyond was ridiculous. Heaven forbid he falls short this year. That means he has 364 days of nagging to look forward to.

No matter how hard a guy works to make this particular day feel special, there are always those who just fall short.

The funny part about it is, no matter how horrible the date goes he always feels as if he has done nothing wrong. Maybe she is upset because she caught you buying her gift at the A&T Bookstore. Perhaps she is a little ticked off because you left the receipt from the Aggie C-Store in her gift bag? My personal favorite is when he signed the card to Michelle, but told Tiffany he have been over Michelle for months.

I have had my share of Valentines. Some have gone well while others went downright awful. I suggest you do the following to avoid a slap to the face and a bruised ego.

One is to be on time. Women cannot stand tardiness. Secondly, open the door for her. Do not just swing the door open hard and hope she catches it behind you. Trust me, it happens. He knows who he is. I loved the part when I did not catch it and he continued walking. Needless to say there was no second date.

Next, when on the date make an effort to stir engaging conversation. Engaging conversation does not include questions about her sex life. If you ask a question give her time to answer and actually listen. Do not cut her off in the middle of her sentence to turn up the radio because “this is your jam.” Again, you know who you are.

Lastly, make this date as positive as possible. Do not make her feel rushed during dinner because you were late. You knew the movie started at 8:45, but you did not get to the restaurant until 7:50. I am pretty sure you will survive with nine minutes of credits instead of ten. Constantly asking for a time check over dinner is not going to get you a call back either.

As you can see, the rules are quite simple. I have done all the dirty work for you and all you need to do is follow these guidelines. Most of all, remember to live in the moment. Valentine’s Day should be every day. However, take the time out to dig deep and really let that person know just how special he or she is to you. If you find yourself lonely this time, “cuffing season” will be right around the corner!

-Email her at [email protected] and follow The A&T Register on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Kourtney Pope, Register Reporter