From Disney cruises to crossing borders: What’s the right trip for your young traveler?

Travel has a lot to offer to children, but it’s understandable why some parents hesitate to make it a big part of their kids’ lives.

There are perennial worries about whether children will even remember what they’ve done on an expensive vacation, or really appreciate what it takes to make a trip happen. Though it can seem difficult to fit travel into the schedule and budget of many families, travel is often more accessible than you’d imagine — and it can give your kids experiences and knowledge that are hard to duplicate in a classroom.

The key to introducing kids to travel is to start incrementally. Taking a 6-year-old to the Roman Forum isn’t going to have a lot of impact — but it’s a whole other story when you take your kids on vacation to Disney World. As a parent, no one knows better than you what your kids will be interested in, what they’ll be willing to do and what they won’t tolerate. Consider these options for young travelers at different ages to get them gradually more excited about travel.

* For the littlest travelers: The land of make-believe is a destination that ranks high on kids’ go-to lists. By taking them to the closest real thing to the world of their imagination, you’ll be creating memories that they’ll treasure throughout their lives. Consider a visit to a theme park where they can meet their favorite characters or Disney cruises that set sail with Mickey and the gang. By combining travel and kid-oriented amenities, you’ll be able to ease young children into new places in a way that is both exciting and comfortable.

* For ‘tweens: America has almost limitless opportunities for travel and exploration, right within its borders. From the desert Southwest to the historic East Coast, it’s about as diverse as a country can be. Travel to iconic destinations within the United States is ideal at this age because kids can learn about history, nature and culture in an environment that is still fairly familiar to them. Travel within the country often comes at a good value, too. Whether you’re booking Niagara Falls hotels on the U.S. side of the famed falls, or reserving a rental car for your drive through the Rockies, you’ll be able to find good deals throughout the year.

* For teens: If you’ve covered a lot ground with your kids by the time they reach their teenage years, it might be time to give them their first glimpse of international travel. It’s not as costly as you might think, particularly if you book vacation packages through sites like Travelocity.com. You can plan your vacation to coincide with what your kids are learning in high school, as well. If they’re studying Spanish, Costa Rica vacations might be a good idea, for instance. Traveling abroad with teens lets them branch out to some new and challenging experiences while still having mom and dad along to provide a bit of extra confidence.

Travel is a great supplement to education, enabling you to show your kids what they might otherwise only read about in text books. In addition, it’s a great way to share some unique experiences that you’ll be able to look back on fondly for years to come.