From catwalk to sidewalk: How to create wearable spring and summer hairstyles

(ARA) – When spring and summer arrive, there is plenty of focus on making changes to your wardrobe. But as you switch out your winter for summer clothes, consider updating more than just your wardrobe this season. Changing your hair to reflect the hottest runway trends is easier than you might think and can add an extra element of style to your look.

While you might think of high-fashion runway hairstyles as too outlandish to wear to work or even on your weekend outings, you can take inspiration from them, rather than copying them verbatim.

World-renowned stylist and Redken Creative Consultant Guido Palau is a fixture at the fashion industry’s top shows each season, including the spring/summer 2011 shows. He offers the following tips for translating the best hairstyles of the runway into hairstyles that you can wear every day.

* The style: Lacquer look

Seen at: Prada

Glossy, almost mirror-like shine was on display on Prada and other major runways. “Shine for spring/summer 2011 is bold and almost wet-looking, like it’s painted on,” Palau says. “This lacquered effect makes it impactful on the runway, but it can also work for every day.” Using smoothing serums, strong sculpting gels, mousses and firm-hold hairsprays – often together – gives you the glossy tresses needed for this dramatic look. “Three key products I recommend to complete this look are: Redken pure force 16 non-aerosol fixing spray, hardwear 16 super strong sculpting gel and glass 01 smoothing serum,” Palau adds.

* The style: Close up

Seen at: Louis Vuitton

This idea is versatile, but has one defining feature: wearing hair close to the head. These styles are ideal for making your face the center of attention – they’re sedate enough to be worn every day but still add extra style. Try the newly revived “milkmaid” braids, worn across the crown of your head or a shaggy chignon knotted close at the back of the head. “The braids call for sleeker styling with a smoothing serum product, while the more textured strands of the chignon require a product like Redken aerate 08 bodifying cream-mousse,” Palau notes. “I like to finish this style with Redken quick dry 18 instant finishing spray.”

* The style: Bigger is better

Seen at: Marc by Marc Jacobs

Inspired by style icons like Diana Ross, this voluminous look is sure to get you noticed. Playful approaches to texture were all over the runways, but you can make it a more everyday look by simply going for extra volume. Use a thickening lotion like Redken thickening lotion 06 body builder and blow dry with a round brush to create loose, airy texture – and for even more volume, don’t be afraid to do a little back-combing.

* The style: Pony tales

Seen at: Calvin Klein

This is a classic look, but one that can be played with more than you might imagine. On the runways, the emphasis was on clean lines, sleek texture and extended lengths. At Calvin Klein, ponytails were worn at the nape of the neck, but re-invented by swooping the side strands over, rather than behind the ears. It’s a minimalist look that will look chic all season long. “To get this look I blow-dry hair straight with Redken blown away 09 and go over hair with a flat iron and Redken iron silk 07 ultra straightening spray,” Palau says.

For more information about these trends, please visit Redken.com, become a fan of Redken on Facebook and follow Redken on Twitter (@Redken5thAve).