Do maintenance costs (and insurance) for hybrid cars detract from energy savings?

If you’re in the market for a new car, you’ve probably investigated such things as miles per gallon, fuel efficiency and maintenance costs as you looked at vehicles.

A push to save fuel and therefore save money is influencing how many Americans choose the vehicles they purchase. In addition, President Obama recently signed into law a new standard that requires all light-duty vehicles to get a minimum of 35 mpg by 2020, which has auto manufacturers redesigning their vehicles to be more energy efficient.

Due to their design, hybrid vehicles can have different maintenance costs than traditional vehicles, which might affect your decision to purchase energy efficient cars. Here are some details to help you make an informed decision when you head out to the dealer:

* Hybrid vehicles run on a combination of battery and gasoline power. But designs in the braking system and forward momentum of the car allow it to recharge the battery so less fuel is burned. These batteries can be more expensive than typical car batteries, which could deter a person from wanting to purchase the hybrid.

* Because the batteries are used to help with keeping the car running and in motion, the engine isn’t used as often, which means that most hybrid vehicles don’t need to have their oil changed as frequently. That can add up to a significant cost savings in the long run.

* Oil and oil filters may be more expensive than is typical for hybrid cars. Some models require higher-quality oil because the engine starts more often than a non-hybrid vehicle.

* Hybrids are energy saving cars because when a driver brakes, a generator captures the friction of the energy created. This energy is stored in the battery for future use. And the process helps to save on brake wear and tear, which means they might not need to be replaced as frequently. But this could also depend on the driver – and whether they use green driving tips such as gentle braking and non-aggressive driving techniques, which can also help to extend the life of brake pads.

* When it comes to the price of insurance, hybrids might have higher prices, and should be something you investigate before your make your purchase. One reason is because hybrids have a higher cost of repair than traditional cars and usually involve original parts. Drivers of hybrid vehicles also tend to spend most of their time driving in urban settings, which can increase the potential for accidents, according to AutoQuoteNow.com.

Because every hybrid model is different, you will need to do your homework on each specific brand to determine if the fuel savings will translate into overall money savings.