Bibbs’ new ‘team’ strategy key in Aggies’ run

It’s no surprise to N.C. A&T head coach Patricia Cage-Bibbs that the Lady Aggies are off to a rapid start.

Even with the departure of all-conference performers Amber Bland and Brittanie Taylor-James, who combined for more than 35 points per game last year, Bibbs was confident in her game plan, knowing her squad would find a way to weather the storm.

And the strategy started with changing the mindset of her players.

“Initially at the beginning of the season, we wanted to make sure that we would never have to depend on one or two people because it’s very difficult when you have two players like Amber and Brittany,” Bibbs said.

“This is a more balanced team and it’s hard to defend us because you don’t know what day who’s going to show up.”

“The offense is geared around getting everyone get involved and if executed correctly it will get everybody open,” Bibbs said.

And the approach has worked for the reigning MEAC coach of the year.

Now off to an 8-0 start in the conference, the Lady Aggies have had seven different players lead the team in scoring and 15 games where three or more players have scored in double figures.

“That’s the sign of the making of a really good team,” said Bibbs. “I just love the offense that we have.”

Even the players enjoy the system.

“Everybody’s going to get a chance to get open,” said senior guard TaWuana Cook. “It’s not just two people getting shots but more people getting shots.”

“We did look to our go-to players last year, but it’s like all of us are go-to players this year.”Despite the changes that occurred with the A&T team, the other MEAC coach’s expectations weren’t any different than Bibbs.

Usually when a team loses its two leading scorers, the odds normally aren’t in the squad’s favor to win the conference.

But not in Bibbs’ case.

The defending champions remained the MEAC’s favorite to win a third consecutive title.

“That’s saying something about your program and I would say having respect,” Bibbs said.

“What we want to do more than anything is do what they said we can do.”

And if Bibbs can prove her colleagues right, she could earn her third consecutive coach of the year honor – but it’s the least of her concerns.

“It’s a really good thing when you get accolades but that’s nothing that I live for,” Bibbs said.

• Daniel Henderson