Aggie men coming out of the cellar

After a promising off season, the N.C. A&T Aggies basketball team entered the 2000-2001 season with high expectations and goals to reach. Many things were set in place as nearly the entire squad from last year’s 14-15 team returned, but as the Aggies dropped their first four games of the year, many of their believers became doubters. “They were trying too hard early in the season,” said David Allen, Aggie alumnus. “They will realize their strengths more as the season goes along.” Maybe they were pressing themselves a little bit with all the expectations swirling around them, and they could have easily hung their heads and given up. After that dismal start, though, the Aggies have turned the corner. The Aggies have won six of their last eight games including huge conference wins against Hampton University, Norfolk State University. The main reason the Aggies have been successful as of late is the emergence of senior point guard J.J. Miller. Miller is the team’s leading scorer at just over 16 points a game and plays nearly the entire game in most cases. “When J.J. plays under control he can be special,” said Curtis Hunter, Aggie head coach. “He’s cut down on his unforced turnovers, but he’ll still make that one play in a game that could overshadow everything else he did.” Miller is helped by swing man Anthony Debro, who has taken his game to another level this year. With the return of All-MEAC forward Bruce Jenkins, the Aggies could become a force in the MEAC.

2000-2001 Results( as of Jan. 23)At Pittsburgh L 91-66At Duquesne L 82-56At VCU L 81-61Vs Ala. State L 82-61Vs Tx. So. W 75-57At DSU L 64-62Vs Elon W 69-57At DUKE L 108-73Vs FAMU W 73-58Vs BCC W 68-58At NCCU W 65-59At CSU L 71-65Vs UNCG L 67-65Vs Hampton W 82-80Vs NSU W 75-72