Short-handed Lady Aggies easily handle Rams

On Monday night, the North Carolina A&T women’s basketball team faced their rivals, Winston Salem State University, at the Greensboro Coliseum. Playing without three key players, A&T crushed the Rams of WSSU 63-31.

The Aggies were without Ta’Wuana Cook due to injury; Jaleesa Sams and Amber Calvin were both out due to an incident from Saturday’s game. Despite missing their key players, A&T had no problems defeating the Rams.

This meeting marks the Aggies 15th straight win over the Rams; A&T now leads the series 23-3 over the Rams. Tierra Thomas led the Aggies in scoring with 16 points; JaQuayla Berry added 15 points and senior Tyronnica Alford 11 points 7 rebounds and 7 assist.

“Tonight they got a lot of minuets”, said Coach Patricia Bibbs when asked about players who usually come off the bench. “I was happy with Tyronnica Alford.”Vontisha Woods led the Rams with 7 points and 7 rebounds.

In the first half it has all Aggies; they opened the game on a 23-0 run. MaLisa Bumpus scored the Rams first points with just over eight minutes in the half; the Aggies led 25-3 with 7:32 on the clock.  The Aggies held the Rams shooting 20.8% and only allowed 12 points in the half; the Aggies led 34-12 at the half.

The second half was not much different; beginning at the 15:41 mark the Aggies outscored the Rams 23-14 to end the game with a 32 point lead, holding the Rams to just 31 points. 

“The team is focused to finish the season strong”, said Bibbs on. “I’m just happy that we have people that can step up”.

On Saturday the Aggies defeated South Carolina State 83-63, recovering from their first conference loss this season.

Ta’Wuana Cook led five Aggies with 25 points; Lamona Smalley recorded a double-double, her 6th in the last seven games, with 11 points, 12 rebounds and five assists. Jaleesa Sams added 14 points for the Aggies.

Sophilia Hipps led SC State with 20 points and Paris Alston recorded 15 points.SC State gained a quick lead over the Aggies until a 12-0 run put A&T up 29-17. The Aggies 12 point lead was cut to six by the half; they led SC State 34-28 at the half. 

In the second half the Aggies pushed their lead to as many as 24 points; With wins over South Carolina State and Winston Salem the Aggies improved to 12-1 in the MEAC.  

• Lauren Morgan