Aggies and Poets returns

On Nov. 11 students filed into Stallings Ballroom for Aggies and Poets presented by Student Government Association (SGA). The event consisted of student performances including spoken word, singing, and rap.

Aggies and Poets was put together by SGA secretary, Janae Brown.

Brown is a senior, journalism and mass communications major from Atlanta. She put together this event for the rebirth of Aggies and Poets, when former SGA

Secretary for the Rehabilitation Administration, Dominic Jones from Bowie, Md. first brought this event to A&T back in 2008.

“It was nice to see Aggies & Poets on the yard again and I love seeing Aggies display their talents, thoughts and feelings. I just wish the rest of campus was as energetic as the people on stage,” said Jones.

A brief delay held the program to start later than planned due to providing extra chairs for guests.

Throughout the event poets and singers performed original pieces that they either written themselves or various pieces that the crowd was familiar with such as, “Until the End of Time” by Justin Timberlake featuring Beyonce, “One Night Only” by Jennifer Hudson from the “Dreamgirls” soundtrack and “If I Was Your Woman” by Alicia Keys.

The event was a mixture of Couture Productions and students that go to A&T.

“Good for students…it gives all Aggies a chance to show their talents and you don’t have to be in Couture to do this,” said Brown.

Newcomers to the spoken word atmosphere were excited about their performance and glad that they actually performed.

“I was really nervous beforehand and afterwards I’m glad that I did it and it was a good experience,” said Starlyn Robinson, junior political science and earth environmental science major from Detroit, Mich.

Throughout the night, various genres of music were expressed including R&B, rap and gospel.

Not only were students showcasing their vocals or poetic flare, but junior and senior visual arts and design majors, Lillian Shaw, Sharra Benson, Kendria Green, Arlington West, and Quincy Smith were displaying and actually painting throughout the event representing The Art Circle.

“Feels good to be apart of this event…we wanted to get good network and show the student body what we were working on and what all we are doing,” said Lillian Shaw, senior visual arts and design major from Texas.

After preparation for this event, Brown felt that this year’s event was a much better turnout this year then in 2008.

“I started planning this event right after homecoming and I was having open auditions to give everyone a fair chance with much help from my intern, Charlene Fields.”

After the event ended a lot of students were pleased with Aggies and Poets and the talent that was displayed.

“I enjoyed the Aggies and Poets event. There were a lot of talented poets, singers, and artists. I was overall impressed,” said Jessica Wilkerson, junior, biology major from Salisbury, NC.

Not only were students impressed with the talent from this year, but they are anticipating next year’s as well.

“I had no idea there was this much talent on campus! I really can’t wait until the next event because this was great beyond words,” said Terrell Thibeaux, sophomore, laboratory animal science from Norfolk, VA.

• Jonathan Veal