SUAB host karaoke night

The Student Union Activities Board (SUAB) hosted Karaoke Night: So you think you can Dance on Feb. 16.

The event took place in Stallings Ballroom and allowed students to show off their singing skills.

Karaoke night started at 7 p.m. and students came in slowly, but Stallings quickly became crowded.

Anyone was allowed to sign up to do a group or individual performance.  The old school Party Time Karaoke machine and a screen were used so performers could see the words to the songs.

The runway was also put down so students could dance.

Torrie Burgess, Miss SUAB, helped put the event together. “We all planned these events over the summer and this was a really good turn out,” said Burgess. “This is something we would definitely do next year.”

Everyone was entertained. Jason Cameron, Mr. SUAB, hosted the show.

Performers sang songs like “Bootylicious” by Beyonce, “You Got it Bad” by Usher, “Baby Got Back” by Vanilla Ice, and “YMCA” by the Village People.

The singers interacted with the audience and got everyone clapping and singing along with them.

When performers sang slow songs, the lights were dimmed and cell phones were held up to set the mood.

Everyone enjoyed the performances while eating cupcakes that were handed out. Some performers even had back up dancers.

While singers chose their songs and got prepared, Cameron entertained the crowd and persuaded the audience to participate too.

This encouraged members from other organizations, like Couture, to show their talent.

One of the amateur singers was Ashley Mixon, a sophomore construction management major from Charlotte, N.C. sang “Since you been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson.

“I sing karaoke at home and I also tried out for American Idol,” said Mixon.

“Even though I have done all of this, I still felt nervous. It all changed when I started singing. I began to feel empowered.”

Host Jason Cameron also talked about Aggie Fest during the breaks. They explained to everyone what Aggie Fest was about and how the event will be great this year. They announced that there will be a mini concert and comedy show during the week. They also announced they will be hosting a Skate Night in the parking lot.

All the students had a great time. “This karaoke night was really entertaining and was an enjoyable event,” said Tiffany Wright, a freshman nursing major from Chapel Hill, N.C.

“There are a lot of talented people and they should have more stuff like this. SUAB does a lot of great stuff to get the campus together.”                                                    

• Necole Jackson