Q&A: D’Vonte Graham All-American cornerback

When you signed with A&T, what were your expectations?

My expectations were to come in and start right away.  That was the coaching staff’s biggest recruiting factor.  Plus, it was crazy that I was unaware of the 27-game losing streak when I came here.  They kept it a secret from me.  But we had a new coach in coach Lee and I felt that the program was moving in a new direction.

What other schools did you considered signing with?

I considered playing at my hometown school, Florida A&M.  I turned down Bethune-Cookman because it is a private school.  I also considered a few other FCS schools, but they were too far away for me.

Where is your favorite place to play in the MEAC?

Besides here at Aggie Stadium, I like going back home to play Florida A&M just because it’s my hometown.

Do you have a least favorite place to play in the MEAC?

I don’t like playing at Delaware State.  There’s no motivation out there.  We played them two times at their homecoming and there was nobody in the stands.

Describe how it is waiting deep to return a punt or kickoff.

Well I’m an All-American punt returner.  It’s definitely an adrenaline rush because you are all by yourself and you know that the crowd is looking for a big play.  My coaches always put me in the best situation to succeed.  

Who is the best cornerback in the MEAC?

I’m definitely the best corner in the MEAC.  

How many interceptions and touchdowns should Aggie Land expect from you this season?

I’m going for ten picks.  That’s what I need to break the school record for interceptions, just nine to tie.  I’m going for five return touchdowns this year.  

Is there an opposing player that has given you trouble?

The toughest receiver I had to cover was Tennessee State’s Joseph Hills.  I covered him as a sophomore at the Colts Stadium in the Circuit City Classic. He was 6’5 205, but I held him to only two catches for 17 yards and had an interception that game.

How did you invest your time this offseason?

I stayed here all summer with the team.  Took a few classes.  I also wanted to get my strength back up because I had shoulder surgery this off-season.  I kept working with my feet too, because as a defensive back that’s the most important thing that I use.

How would you describe the team camaraderie at this point?

The chemistry is pretty good.  As far as our defense, our secondary is all seniors this year.  Usually, we have had young teams, but this year we’re more senior oriented.  Plus, we have the best pass defense in the nation.

What about the game of football creates your aggressive coverage style?

Playing football in the state of Florida everyone grows up playing with that confidence and swagger.  You just feel like your better than everyone else.  Plus, personally I like to make plays.  So anytime I see a play to be made I like to take the opportunity to make that play.

Do you have a most memorable game from 2012?

Homecoming.  We were down 9-0 when I returned a missed field goal for a touchdown.  When I was running down the field hearing the crowd roaring in my ear was nice.

You’ve made significant improvements season by season, what have you done this offseason to improve your performance?

Like I said earlier, I really focused on footwork and trying to get better in every phase of my game.  What made me want to get better was when I led the team in passes defended as a freshman, but was left off of the All-MEAC teams.  Two of my other teammates were on it, Justin Ferrell and Quay Long.  From that point on, I said I would be on this team every year and I have been.  

How do you enact your leadership skills amongst your teammates?

All of them look up to me as a leader.  I’ve been a leader on this team since my sophomore season, so everyone mainly looks to me for confidence and to calm them down.  I just lead by example with my work ethic and my teammates follow suit.  

How do you feel when you hear of FCS players being drafted into the NFL?

I feel like as FCS players we can do it.  There’s not really a talent spread.  The big Division I players just have a little more size. I feel it’s more about size because our ability is definitely there.  

Do you feel you can play at the professional level? What team?

Oh yeah, I believe I can play.  There’s no question about that.  Since I’m a flashy type of guy, I’d like to go to the Cowboys.   

As a senior, is playing at the next level a motivating factor?

That and winning the MEAC championship are the only things left in my career to accomplish.  I feel like I have accomplished everything I have set out to do except winning the MEAC championship.

Is there anything else you would like to tell the student body regarding you career?

I feel like my career here has been a success so far.  When I leave I plan to be the greatest defensive back to ever come through A&T.

This interview was conducted by Kalyn Hoyle.