Make your holidays brighter by tackling seasonal stress

(ARA) – When the holiday hubbub hits your family, it can hit hard. The stress of organizing a family gathering, dealing with mall crowds while shopping for gifts and trying to keep your budget balanced can make it challenging to enjoy the holiday season.

If the stress is starting to wear you down, try these simple ways to relieve anxiety so you can enjoy the holidays with relaxed shoulders and a smile on your face:

* Book an appointment for a massage. Tense shoulders and gritted teeth are signs that you’re experiencing holiday stress which can leave your body feeling achy and tired. A massage can help ease tension so you can relax, unwind and face the challenges with renewed energy. On a budget? Pick up some soothing bath gels and a scented aromatherapy candle and create a spa experience in the comfort of your own bathroom.

* Book a hotel for your out-of-town guests. The added stress of housing friends and relatives can really pile up. Hilton Garden Inn has adjustable Garden Sleep System beds that conform to the body, cradling your neck, back, legs and spine for pressure-free sleep. A good night’s sleep ensures your out-of-town guests will be well-rested for the holiday festivities ahead, and you’ll have more freedom at home to prepare. They can also use the fitness centers or check out the stay fit kits available at the front desk for in-room workouts. Most importantly, they’re out of your hair.

* Organize a potluck family gathering. If you’re in charge of cooking your family’s holiday meal this year, ask your guests to bring their favorite dish so you don’t have to shoulder the entire meal. It gives you less responsibility in the kitchen and the opportunity for your guests to share their signature recipes. Make sure you assign dishes so you don’t end up with several salads and no dessert.

* Spend time organizing and prioritizing your holiday shopping list in advance so you don’t waste time wandering aimlessly through department stores, which can often create anxiety. Even better, try to knock out your holiday shopping online. You can do it in your PJs and slippers, and many websites offer free holiday shipping.

Taking time to enjoy the holiday season is important for staying sane and truly savoring the time you have with your friends and family. With relaxed shoulders, a smile and a carefree attitude, you’ll be empowered to tackle the anxiety and stress of the holiday season.