Poets given ‘Reasons 2 Rhyme’

Out of the nation, 15 poets competed in a three round poetry competition for a $1000 cash prize in the Reasons 2 Rhyme  2nd annual Freedom Poetry Slam Friday evening at the Sloan Theatre at the Greensboro Day School.

Reasons 2 Rhyme is a mass variety of events celebrating the art of poetry while connecting to the community.

Reasons 2 Rhyme offers gatherings in a variety of venues throughout the year that are open and free to the public and expand the opportunity for poetry to be seen, heard, and experienced.

Reason 2 Rhyme, created and hosted by A&T alum, Josephus Thompson III, put together a nine-month long poetry series throughout the Greensboro area.

With so much help from PR consultant and fellow A&T alum, Alana Allen along with four public relations interns, senior Arista Ratchford, and juniors Brooke Waller, Ashley Minter, and Talisha Holmes, the slam was put together in a timely matter.

“I remember the Poetry Café being my first event of Reason 2 Rhyme and I saw Josephus perform. We then became friends on Facebook and he needed some PR work for Reasons 2 Rhyme and I accepted and started a internship program for public relations students to help with the series,” says Allen.

The help from the interns had an effect on the outcome of the event through social media and volunteer recruitment.

The Freedom Slam had a similar setup as Russell Simmons Def Poetry. With a DJ playing hits from the 1980’s to present time and Josephus giving comedic commentary were great intermissions to pass time in between poets and rounds and it kept the audience entertained.

All the poets had a different style and approach in all of their performances. Animated faces and movements throughout the poet’s performances gave the audience a more understanding of what they were talking about.

The final round was a tribute to the A&T Four and for starting the Sit-In movement in Greensboro in 1960.

After the final tally of the scores, Quentin Talley was announced the winner.

The South Carolina native was real inspired to be apart of the slam.

“I was invited to be apart of the slam after I won the grand slam in Charlotte,” states Talley.

With so much animation to his pieces, Talley was use to the visual aspect to his poetry because he has been a theater kid all his life.

The second and third runners up, Kane from Durham and Eurydice White from Winston Salem were very appreciative of the effect their performances had on the audience and they were very inspired.

“Life is inspiration, there is no writing without inspiration,” says Kane. Being involved in this slam with one of his protégés, G was very inspiring for him as Kane and G performed together after the slam. 

Eurydice White was very happy with the show overall and all the talented poets involved.

“Words have power to inspire and I believe I have something that needs to be heard,” says White. “This was an excellent experience.”

The Freedom Slam made great success with a big turnout of families and students from Dudley High School and North Carolina A&T.

“I want expose many people to poetry,” says Thompson. All of the poets who were involved in the Freedom Slam were categorized as the nation’s top because of various wins of poetry slams across the nation and top poets and the Internet as well.

“The slam from this year exceeds last years slam because It is bigger and better and a more diversity of the series,” Thompson states.

“I’m so happy, with taking over the entire show when Josephus went to Australia, to see a great turnout, it is relieving,” says Allen.

Reasons 2 Rhyme has made great success thus far and is continuing to host poetry cafes and festivals throughout the year.  

• Jonathan Veal