Guide to graduate in style

A graduation cap and gown may not seem like an ideal fashion choice, but the regalia worn on Commencement day reveals a lot about the owner— at least academically.

Graduates receiving bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees wear different graduation robes and tassel colors, while faculty and administrators may be dressed in uniformed, Commencement outfits.

It’s all part of a tradition that dates back to the centuries. It has been an age-old tradition of graduates to wear graduation caps and gowns. In a way, the cap and gown symbolizes how special the day is in that only those who have cried, sweated, and persevered are given the right to wear them. As graduates walk down the aisle to their respective seats, the cap and gown adds extra “swag” to the feeling of pride that finally one chapter of your life has been successfully completed.

How will you wear your cap and gown? Are you having a hat decorating party? Will you put farewell messages so those above you can read them? Or will you be draped in illustrious multi- colored cords and medallions? Or are you an individual that fell short of graduating with honors? Don’t be.

The square academic cap also called a mortarboard-because of its resemblance in shape to the device utilized by masons to hold mortar-was reputed to have originated from a biretta worn by scholarly clergies, which was used to signify their superiority and intelligence. All graduates have academic caps, and they signifying life, and moving on.

So I challenge you to graduate in style, although no one can see through your gown, dress up! Make sure your shirts are starched and your shoes are polished. Regardless of what you wear, graduation is a day of accomplishment, not atonement for the last four years.

Regardless if you live in America or in another country, graduation caps and gowns, along with tassels, hoods, stoles and diploma covers are common apparel whenever men and women graduate from school. From a child graduating from preschool or kindergarten, all the way up to doctoral graduates, you’ll find various colors, styles, and materials for your educational affiliation.

They all have accomplishment and drive sewn into the fibers, so revel in your triumph. Rejoice in your completion of one journey in your life path, soon to start another, remembering no matter what you wear on May 11th, hold your head high; your graduating in style.

–Email [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegsiter

• Deryck VANDERBILT-NICHOLSON, Contributor