Taking your snowmobile out for a long trip

Snowmobiling can take you far into the wilderness, to scenic places where the only living creatures disturbing the pristine winter snow pack are wild animals and yourself.

Going on day-long – and even overnight – rides along groomed trails is a lot of fun, but because you may not be near civilization, if your sled were to break down, it’s important to keep these snowmobile safety tips in mind:

* Take a snowmobile safety course – and possibly a wilderness survival course – before you head out. Arming yourself with knowledge of your sled, the landscaping you’re traversing, and surviving in the environment will help prepare you in case something happens to you or your sled.

* Pack a first-aid kit, tools and spare parts. If you do have a mishap, you may be able to fix your snowmobile and return to your home or vehicle without becoming stranded. Recommended tools to include in your emergency kit are:

* Screwdrivers

* Adjustable wrenches

* Electrical tape

* Pliers

* Rags

* Spare spark plugs

* A spare belt

* A tow strap

* Travel with at least one other person, and carry a ham radio. Cell phones don’t always work in remote areas, so having a ham radio can help you contact rescuers if you were to become stranded.

And if your travels are far or near, these snowmobile riding tips always make sense:

* Be a courteous driver. There may be other sleds on the trail, and if you’re traveling at high speeds, there’s a good chance you won’t see or hear the other snowmobile, especially when traversing a curve or hill along the trail. Maintain a safe speed so you can watch for other drivers.

* Don’t drink alcohol while snowmobile riding. Not only does drinking alcohol slow your response times – which could affect you as you negotiate trails with unexpected bumps, wild animals or other snowmobile drivers – but you may also receive a DUI citation for operating your snowmobile while intoxicated.

Practicing good snowmobile safety while on the trail can help to ensure you and your group arrives at your destination safely and soundly.