International Aggies celebrate “Dia De Los Muertos”

Glitter, confetti and googly eyes illuminated the Student Union on Friday, Oct. 23rd as International and national students exposed their inner-child when they were given the chance to cut, glue and color Calaveras and Calacas (“skulls'” and “skeletons”) during a celebration of ‘Dia de los Muertos’ (Day of the Dead).

Dr. Maria Palmer, Director of the Multicultural Center, organized the ‘Dias de Los Muertos’ event, to educate students on another culture besides their own. It also gave the International students a chance to interact with other students who also attend A&T.

‘Dias de los Muertos’, also known as the Day of the Dead, is a ritual celebrated in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries. It’s a joyous occasion to celebrate the memory of ancestors and the continuity of life.

The celebration occurs on Nov. 1st and Nov. 2nd annually. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed. It is believed that during the Day of the Dead, it is easier for the souls of the deceased to visit the living. Families intentionally encourage visits by the souls.

“The celebration of ‘Dias De los Muertos’ is very important, because it allows some Aggies who have never had an opportunity to be exposed to these customs to be a part of it, enjoy it and understand it,” said Palmer. “So, that then it becomes something that they can relate to. So that there’s no fear, and they won’t be scared of it.”

Students gathered around to taste the authentic Mexican food and snacks that were served. The menu consisted of Pan de Muertos, Jamaica, Tortillas, and Tortas. “Agua de Jamaica” and hibiscus juice were served to wash down the refreshments.

“I love the Spanish culture; I’ve been in every Spanish club growing up. I love being involved in any and all activities associated with it,” said Joseph Jabre, a junior computer science major. “We are celebrating the Day of the Dead—meaning that we are celebrating those who have passed. So, it’s more of a festival of love.”

“It’s a fun time it allows people to come together and share their own cultures,” said Palmer.

Palmer led the students as they sang “Demos Gracias” before eating the main entrée ‘Tortas”. Tortas, a Mexican sandwich served with avocado, peppers, meat and cheese, seemed to be a favorite among the attendees, as there was a high demand for it.

Students came back for seconds and asked where to purchase the delicious dish. Also served was Pan de Muertos, bread of the dead, which is often shaped into skulls and round loaves with strips of dough rolled out and attached to resemble bones. It is described as a sweet treat for the dead.

“The things that we don’t understand sometimes become a source of fear or distrust. Then we think, “What is going on?” We might hear about Dias De Los Muertos, and think it’s worshiping the dead. It becomes a threatening idea. But, if you understand what is being celebrated and you participate then you start to relate, you can draw parallels, and make connections to things you might do in your culture” said Palmer.

Kambale Musavuli, student coordinator of Friends of the Congo said, “Mourning–Whenever some passes away here (American Culture), there’s a feeling of sadness, people cry, people are down. But in some traditional cultures whenever someone passes away they are moving to another level, so it’s like a celebration knowing that the person is going to a higher level.” Musavuli is originally from the Congo.

Alisha Phillips, a senior foreign language major from Harlem, NY and president of the Aggie Spanish -Interest group, smiled as she cut her mini skull heads out into shape. She then applied glue, and dressed the skulls with glitter, and feathers.

Philips took pleasure in being engaged in such a magnificent occasion. “It’s always warming to see people of various ethnicities coming together to celebrate and pay homage to other cultures.” 

• Nisha Streeter