Accident delays NSBE’s trip to conference

The North Carolina A&T chapter of the National Association

of Black Engineers (NSBE) was headed to the Fall Regional

Conference (FRC) in Baltimore, MD Friday morning to compete with

other chapters in various competitions. But on the way to the

conference students were involved in a multi-car accident

The North Carolina A&T chapter of the National Association of Black Engineers (NSBE) was headed to the Fall Regional Conference (FRC) in Baltimore, MD Friday morning to compete with other chapters in various competitions. But on the way to the conference the tour bus with A&T students, a tractor trailer carrying logs and a Toyota pickup truck were involved in a deadly multi-car accident on Interstate 85.

According to Richmond news station, WTVR CBS 6, the accident happened shortly around noon where Sgt. Thomas Molner with Virginia State Police calls it a chain reaction crash. The investigation determined that the log truck and pickup were slowing down in the left lane were the tour bus hit the pickup moving it forward into the rear of the trailer to where it was pinned under it. The driver and two passengers in the pickup died at the scene.

For the fourth passenger, a female, was flown by Virginia Police Med-Flight Helicopter to VCU Medical Center for treatment as her injuries are considered serious but not life-threatening. The bus driver, Malverse L. Vanloan, 56, of Greensboro has been charged with reckless driving. She too was transported by ambulance to VCU Medical Center for treatment of serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

A&T held a press conference the evening of the accident were Executive Director for Counseling Services, Vivian Barnette focused primary on the safety of the students. There were 49 students of A&T on the bus with no injuries from the crash. “We are very blessed that there are no injuries,” said Melody Pierce, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs.

Bus driver, Vanloan has an arraignment date for January 26, 2012, in the Dinwiddie County General District Court were state police is in process of consultation to review the case and if other charges will be filed.

• Erik Veal, Online Editor