Cash rebate cards to cutting phone bills – 5 savings tips for small businesses

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, as the old adage goes. But many small business owners also know that to make money, you have to save money. It isn’t enough to have a good revenue stream. It’s equally important to control costs – especially in this economy.

Two key ways to save money are to spend less and to spend in ways that give you cash back. These tips can help you improve your business cash flow by keeping more money in your account each month:

1. Negotiate.

Your business isn’t the only one to feel the economic pinch of the recession. The vendors and suppliers you do business with are likely just as inspired to retain customers as you are. Asking them for better terms on everything from interest rates, Internet service, and rent to service charges and payment deadlines can help keep more money in your pocket longer.

2. Use a cash rebate card.

It’s easy to find cards that purport to give you cash back on purchases. But does that pledge only apply to big ticket items that you buy rarely? Or does it require you to complete paperwork to get the cash? Look for a card that quickly gives you cash back on items you purchase on a regular basis. SimplyCash from American Express OPEN automatically credits the cash back to your statement. You get cash back for things you actually spend money on every month, such as wireless services and office supplies (5 percent back), gas for your automobile (3 percent), and other purchases (1 percent). You also get cash back on business expenses from FedEx, Hertz, OfficeMax, and more (up to 10 percent with OPEN savings), And there’s no annual membership fee.

3. Control phone expenses

Between cell phones for multiple employees, the office landline and the temptation to use business phones for personal calls, it’s easy to see how phone expenses can get out of hand. Start trimming phone costs by comparison shopping for mobile service and landline providers. You may find bundling mobile, land and Internet from a single provider offers big savings. Competition is fierce so it pays to look around. Be sure all office staff are clear on your company’s phone use policy. Check monthly statements and require reimbursement for personal calls that fall outside your policy’s guidelines.

4. Evaluate utility costs

Whether you own the building you operate out of, or simply rent it, it pays to look at your utility costs. Drafty, poorly insulated buildings will mean higher heating charges – and possibly electric as well, if you have staff who use electric space heaters to stay warm. Consider improving insulation and weather stripping around doors and windows if you own your office. If you’re renting, ask the landlord to take care of this. If he balks at the cost, see if he’s willing to pay for high efficiency electric space heaters instead. Also, be aware of what electrical appliances you leave plugged in or turned on. Do all the computers in your office really need to stay on 24/7? If not, have staff turn them off and unplug them every night. And make sure the lights are turned off when everyone leaves for the night.

5. Market smart

Save money on costly promotional mailings by developing an e-mail list of current and potential customers, and posting special offerings on your company’s website or Facebook page. Encourage customers to spread the word about your business and consider rewarding those who post positive reviews about your business on the Internet.