Eaves released as head coach

Jerry Eaves has been removed of his duties as the head coach of the men’s basketball team today.

Jerry Eaves has been removed of his duties as the head coach of the men’s basketball team today, Director of Athletics Earl M. Hinton announced in a news release. Eaves contract with the school expires on May 30, 2013.

Taking over a one-win program of the men’s basketball team in 2003, Eaves has accomplished major wins in his coaching career leading the Aggies to wins over SMU, DePaul, Middle Tennessee State and 2-0 winning streak against cross town rival UNC-Greensboro.

He finished his time here at A&T with a 99-120 record over his nine-year tenure. He is the third coach to be on the program’s all-time wins list.

“I want it to be known that I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jerry Eaves and what he did for this program,” said Hilton in a news release. “He has blessed the lives of so many young men through his associations with them as a mentor and as a positive male role model. Eaves’ integrity as a man, a father, a husband, a coach and a professional are immensely impressive. I truly wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Shooting guard Roger “RJ” Buck was caught off guard when the news of Eaves’ release was announced to the team earlier today. “We were upset and it caught us off guard and something we were not expecting,” said the junior criminal justice major. “For the junior class, we have been playing for coach Eaves for the last three years and now we are just thinking who will be the next coach to come in.”

Assistant coach, Scott Bollwage will serve as interim head coach until a permanent replacement is hired.

“It would be nice to keep a coach that everyone is familiar with, he does a great job as an assistant and we know he will do a great job taking over,” said Buck.

The Aggies finished the 2011-12 season 12-20 overall after losing to Howard 51-50 as the seventh seed in the first round of the MEAC Basketball Tournament at Lawrence Joel Coliseum in Winston-Salem, N.C., on March 6. A nationwide search for Eaves’ replacement will begin immediately.

• Erik Veal, Online Editor