New student insurance available for UNC System

As April 1 approached, the UNC System adopted a new insurance plan for the 2010-2011 academic year for those students who choose to use the school’s insurance.

The decision to change the insurance plan was made after the UNC Board of Governor’s met last August.

The new plan is a “hard waiver” student insurance plan.

After meetings with the top executive of the UNC systems and SGA representation from each school, the new plan was established as the best for each school.

Some of the changes that have been made include vision care, dental preventive care plan and a $150 deductible versus the $300 deductible in the previous plan.

Also the “hard waiver” makes $100,000 available for major medical benefit and a $1,000 pharmacy maximum.

Students will continue to be covered for one year- the summer included. With the vision care, students with the insurance will be allotted one eye exam and glasses up to $200.

The dental care plan is designed for preventive measures such as a routine cleaning.

Also included are necessary immunizations that students may have to get throughout the year.

“We always want to give student a good product and great coverage,” said Executive Director of Sebastian Health Center Linda Wilson. “The plan is more inclusive which is a good thing for those student with our health insurance plan.”

Each semester there are approximately 4,500 students at A&T who take advantage of the health insurance through Sebastian Health Center.

As the new plan increases its coverage for students, it also increases in price. The new price will be $694 for the year ($347 per semester). The current cost of the health insurance is $283.50 per semester.

Although the plan has changed, the insurance company will remain with Pearce & Pearce.

In order to waive the school’s health insurance plan, a student must verify creditable coverage in the form of another insurance plan.

“North Carolina is leader to offer the ‘Hard waiver’ for its students as a health insurance method,” continued Wilson.

In order to be covered under the school’s health insurance plan there are requirements that must be met.

First, a student must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program.

Secondly, that student must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours and lastly, they must be eligible to pay the campus student health fee.

The date for students to waive the school’s insurance plan began April 1 for the 2010-2011 academic year.

The last day for students to waive the coverage will be Sept. 3.

If a student does not waive the school’s plan successfully, then they will be automatically enrolled and expected to pay for the coverage.

Students who wish to waive the school’s insurance coverage can do so by submitting a request at ww.studentinsurance.com.

Students must show proof of other insurance to waive the insurance. 

• Jasmine Johnson