Five essential steps to prepare for your vacation

People are gearing up for family vacations as school lets out for summer break and great deals abound on the Internet. Leaving life and work behind is a daunting thought for some, and with so many “I’s” to dot and “T’s” to cross, it’s no wonder vacationers often leave home feeling frazzled and unprepared. There are a few simple things you can do to ready yourself and your family for your trip, so take some time to complete the following steps. The peace of mind you’ll achieve is well worth the effort.

Make a packing list: One of the first things to complete in the bustle of preparing for vacation, packing lists are the best way to ensure nothing is forgotten when you walk out the door. Allow yourself plenty of time during a typical day to complete a list. Stress will have less of a chance of affecting your thought process this way. In addition to being an excellent planning tool, a complete packing list can also be used to make sure nothing is left behind when you and your family are about to begin your journey home.

Prepare your house: Another important step best not left until the day of travel is preparing your home for your absence for a worry-free trip and happy return. This process includes fortifying all locks, stopping delivery of mail and papers, checking for any potential fire or break-in hazards and setting automatic light timers. If break-ins are a big concern in your area, consider contacting a home security company like ADT to see about setting up an alarm system to monitor your property while you’re away.

Stay in contact with work: Many people have a difficult time totally disconnecting from the office, even while on vacation. If you find this is the case, be sure to take steps ahead of time to make it easy to contact your colleagues. Having a high-speed wireless Internet connection like the 4G service available from CLEAR will allow you to access your e-mails and the Internet while on the go. Be sure to check with your phone provider as well to ascertain what roaming and data charges you’ll incur when connecting from your destination.

Get your papers in order: If you’re traveling internationally, you will want to make sure several weeks or months ahead of time that your passport and travel visas are arranged. It’s also a good idea to contact your bank and insurance companies to alert them that you’ll be away. Often banks place holds on accounts if they see foreign or unusual activity, and the last thing you want is for your credit cards to stop working mid-trip.

Check with your doctor: Find out from your doctor if you’ll need any special shots or medications before you reach your destination. Your physician may also write you prescriptions to combat any potential health problems that may arise, like food poisoning or an insect sting. This is particularly important for children as their immune systems are very susceptible to the viruses and bacteria present in unfamiliar locations.

Vacations can be stressful to plan and carry out successfully, so spend a few moments before your trip to ensure it’s hassle-free. Save yourself potential time, expenses and headaches by preparing for your travel as soon as possible. You’ll thank yourself as you’re enjoying your family vacation free of worry and stress.

Courtesy of ARAcontent