Timely leads Aggies past Red Foxes

As the regular season ends for A&T’s baseball team and the MEAC Baseball Championship Tournament approaches, the Aggies are struggling to find hitters for the lineup.

Cameron Jergens and Luke Tendler are the Aggies’ leading hitters, but it was junior Brandon Mitchell and freshman Kyle Clary who led the team as they went to sweep the Marist Red Foxes (8-23) in a doubleheader.

The Aggies won with scores 3-0 in the first match up and 7-6 in the second game. The weekend’s victories snapped the Aggies’ 10-game losing streak. In game two, Kyle Clary was the man of the hour as he hit a walk-off to left field in the tenth inning to improve the Aggies’ record to 13-22.

The Red Foxes took a 3-2 lead after Tyler Kirkpatrick hit a line drive single off of the leg of A&T’s starter, Brian Poag. Thankfully, he was not injured during the play. However, he did not return to the game.

Marist was close to splitting the series after they scored three runs in the tenth inning. Ryan Thomas, the team’s saves leader, entered the game in the hopes of capturing his fifth save of the season. Thomas hit Jergens with a 1-0 pitch to then force a run to dwindle Marist lead to 6-4.

Stefan Jordan evened the game with a double down left field. Jergens was thrown out at home as he tried to score on a groundball. That was the moment when Clary stepped up to the plate for a game changing moment.

It was the ninth inning when Clary entered the game and took the 0-1 pitch and rolled a groundball to the Red Foxes’ third baseman, Ben Moller. Moller prepared to catch the ball, but it took a slightly different approach and bounced over his head into left field. This allowed Stefan Jordan the chance to score the winning run. Ultimately, securing another Aggies win.

• Janay Boone, Contributor