Tattoos: A trend and a symbol

Tattoos are not only for the bikers and military, but have become a growing trend around the world.

Tattoos are not only for the bikers and military, but have become a growing trend around the world. With new shops opening, personal artists hosting tattoo parties, and television shows such as ‘”NY Ink” and “Miami Ink,” tattoo world is in display. The craft of tattooing has evolved since its start in 3300 B.C. Ötzi the Iceman was found in the Ötz valley in the Alps and had approximately 57 carbon tattoos consisting of simple dots and lines on his lower spine, behind his left knee, and on his right ankle. Now tattoos have taken a turn and are more about abstract and color.

Looking into entertainment industry today, many artists and actors have custom designs on their bodies. Rappers Wiz Khalifa and Lil Wayne have full body art on their upper bodies covering their chest, arms, back and even little designs on their faces. Some artists have even taken it a little farther by putting ice cream cones on their face like rapper Gucci Mane.

For a less dramatic effect, a popular trend with tattoos is the common theme of religion. “We do so many tattoos commemorating someone that has passed,” said Greg Martin, a tattoo artist at Kingpin Studios. “Most will have a cross, wings, halo, praying hands or some combination of these with names and dates.”

Another trend is combining religion and horoscopes to create a meaningful tattoo. “My tattoo represents my faith,” said Percy Archie, a sophomore creative writing major from High Point. “I’m highly favored though my leo-ness crosses paths with my faith, with my faith being the foundation of me.” A walk-in customer, ECPI University student and Greensboro resident, Clayton Keck has a similar representation of religion. “I am actually getting a cover-up with cross with a shield and a sword…basically my representation of my faith and not being afraid of anything.

Kingpin Studios, Golden Spiral Tattoo, and Little John’s Tattoo are just a few local shops around the Greensboro area. With so many shops in this college town containing A&T, UNCG, Bennett, and GTCC, surrounding shops have the opportunity to design and showcase their craft around schools. “We mostly have college students as clientele and it is a way to hear about experiences and viewpoints from different areas of the country.” With nine years of experience in the field, Martin expresses his career as a tattoo artist to be a good living.

Legacy Irons Tattoos is another tattoo shop with much student clientele due to its convenient location between A&T and UNCG ‘s campuses. “We see a lot of kids from A&T and UNCG but when school is out, the atmosphere is died out so there is not many people walking in to get a tattoo,” said tattoo artist and owner, Nate Hall. With the city of Greensboro being a college town, the usual demographic entering tattoo shops are persons 18-45 years of age.

Along with the many shops, people can get a tattoo from a personal artist. The opportunity to get tattoos from a licensed personal artist is convenient for both the customer as well as the artist and can also be inexpensive.

Xavier Carrington, Intramural Sports Director at A&T, has been tattooing for 11 years. As a licensed artist and owner of several shops in the Miami area, he has a lot of experience in the craft. “Well I am a private tattoo artist and I do this in the free time,” said Carrington. Carrington also has his own shop in his hometown called Karma Sutra Ink.

Many may wonder how much a tattoo costs. Artists at local shops price tattoos by the amount of work they estimate that it will involve. In some cases it can be the size that affects the price along with other factors such as placement on the body and whether or not there is color in the tattoo. If you happen to get a second tattoo in the same place you will be in luck. “We give a discount because we are able to use the same setup of materials on the second tattoo,” said Martin. “We do not give college discounts but we try to make it affordable for everyone.”

Prices can range from $50 to $400 depending on what you want. “I paid $75 for my tattoo of my cross and zodiac sign,” said Archie. Different places on the body such as the leg can be a cheaper price. “My tattoo on the back of my leg is a sancofa that matches my cousin’s which means learn from your past that only cost me $35,” said Princess Sledge, a biology major Detroit, MI.

If you want more, then prices could be much higher. Carolina Tattoo Company artist Blue Stone said that because there are so many places to put tattoos and different skin tones many factors go into the difficulty level and that is what you are paying for. “Prices can be from $40 to $2000 for line work and a huge complicated sleeve,” said Stone. “You can be $500 for multiple sessions to have the tattoo completed.” Prices are high, but students use their refund checks to pay for the expenses. “The time we usually get busy is when students get their refund checks and taxes back and spend $100 or more on a tattoo,” said Hall.

Whether you go downtown to Golden Spiral Tattoos, Little John’s Tattoos on West Lee Street or Seven Sagas Tattoo Studio on Spring Garden, the world of tattooing is evolving and the price for one is the work you want done. It is a trend that has turned into a fashion statement.

“Society is a lot more open to things that were taboo in the past like religion [or] sexuality and tattoos is becoming more of a boom because it gives people a chance to express themselves through graphic design,” said Carrington. “It has a lot of deep history, and now in today’s industry you find a lot of people with tattoos in the work force. It doesn’t degrade their character at all.”

If you cannot decide whether or not to get a tattoo, you can always attend the 18th Annual NC Tattoo Convention that features over 80 handpicked, professional artists from around the nation. This year’s convention will be held September 7-9th at Embassy Suites Hotel. The host shop for the convention, Little John’s Tattoo, has hosted this event for years and they feel so passionate about the promotion of artists not only in the city but in the United States. “It is basically a big tattoo shop with different shops and it is a great opportunity to see different ideas and styles,” said Little John Tattoo artist, Drew Epps.

• Erik Veal, Online Editor