Ringing in the dollars for Feb. 1 breakfast

The A&T Four have been celebrated every year since Feb. 1,

1960 and this year marks the 52nd Sit-In Anniversary. The

festivities planned are completely paid for with student money.

The A&T Four have been celebrated every year since Feb. 1, 1960 and this year marks the 52nd Sit-In Anniversary. The festivities planned are completely paid for with student money.

The February One celebration observes courageous actions contributed by Franklin McCain, Ezell Blair Jr., Joseph McNeil, the late David L. Richmond.

These 1960 freshmen are known for protesting after being refused service at the segregated lunch counter of the F. W. Woolworth’s store in downtown Greensboro.

Along with the Division of Student Affairs, the student government association will be hosting a Sit-In Breakfast Celebration that will feature the A&T Four and guest speaker, Darryl C. Towns, Commissioner and CEO of NYS Homes and Community Renewal.

Expenses for the A&T Four and guest speaker is $10,591.58; the bulk of the February One expenditure.

“We have a very lean budget this year because most speakers require between $7,500 to $25,000 per event,” said dean of students Judy Rashid.

Students are encouraged to attend all events that are surrounded by the February One Celebration. Approximately 200 students from different student organizations will be participating in the celebration such as the N.C. A&T Army and Air Force ROTC, the university choir, the gospel choir, and members of the SGA. Both choirs will be paid $300.

“I attend the February One Celebration because the program is designed to bring students together,” said Kourtney Lowe, a sophomore animal science major. It reminds us that Aggies are exceptional and are destined to succeed. The presence of the A&T Four brings an astonishing atmosphere to the university.”

Other student organizations that attend the festivities yearly include the council of presidents, the national Pan-Hellenic council as well as resident hall administration, community supporters, alumni and university administration. Seven to eight tables will be reserved for general students.

Students who do attend the breakfast will not be required to pay for anything. The food will be provided by Sodexo, which comes to a total of $2,206.58.

There will also be an invitation only reception held for the A&T Four that will provide food.

After food, the third most expensive aspect of the February One Celebration is printing. The save the date posters and cards come to a total of $740 and the 500 program booklets come to an amount of $750, a grand total of $1,490.

This year will also be the first time the university offers two $1,500 scholarships to high school students if they are accepted into A&T. One scholarship is based off an essay award and the other is an art poster award.

In whole the February Once expenses are mainly directed to travel for the guests, food, printing, decorations and possible scholarships for prospective students.

All expenses come to a grand total of $20,254.86. This amount is what is expected for the annual celebration.

“We are celebrating the lives of students and designed this year’s celebration to empower students”, said Rashid. “The university is dedicated to encourage students and demonstrate by the A&T Four that anything is possible.”

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Latisha Freeman, Contributor