Charity Stripe robs Aggies of win

The N.C. A&T Aggies and UNC-Greensboro Spartans basketball game is a big story around this time of year in Greensboro. It usually means a big turnout as well as a great game and everyone who attended the game knew they were getting their money’s worth. The Aggies have owned the Spartans over the previous two years with impressive wins, but this night belonged to the Spartans in the end. The Aggies failed on many opportunities to seize the game as they came up short all night long from the free throw line. In the end, it was Spartans 67-Aggies 65. Aggie head coach Curtis Hunter seemed muchdispleased after the loss. “If you can’t hit lay-ups and free throws, you’ll have a tough time beating anybody. We committed a lot of turnovers that we normally do not commit,” said Hunter. The Aggies dug themselves in and out of holes throughout the game but could not overcome the Spartans’ last burst. With 12 minutes remaining in the second half, A&T trailed 47-37 but made a run to cut the lead to 47-44. After a 12-0 run by UNCG put them up 61-49 with three minutes to play, the Aggies needed one last spurt. Swing man Anthony Debro provided the much-needed spark as he hit successive three pointers to trim the Spartans lead to 61-55 with 2:30 remaining. Once again, the Aggies cut the lead to 63-59 with 39 seconds remaining in the game but could not convert their free throws down the stretch. With the score 67-62 with four seconds left, Aggie point guard J.J. Miller hit a three-pointer to cut the lead to 67-65 but time expired as the Spartans inbounded the ball. “With a 10- or 12-point lead, you’d like to cruise to victory, but in this type of rivalry, that just doesn’t happen,” said Spartan head coach Fran McCaffery. The Aggies struggled all night from the line as they connected on a dismal six of 16 and also missed the front ends of three one-and-ones down the stretch. The Spartans, meanwhile, hit their free throws throughout the game and down the stretch as they finished 16 of 18 from the line to ice the win. “We hurt ourselves by playing in spurts,” said Miller. “This loss hurts but we can’t dwell on it. We have two big conference games ahead and we must be ready.” Debro’s 17 points led all Aggie scorers while J.J. Miller added 16 points. The Spartans got 21 points from freshman guard Jay Joseph to lead the way.