Jhené Aiko takes on 2014

Every year, there is a breakout artist in the music business. This year, singer Jhené Aiko is definitely R&B’s next star.

After starting her career as a background singer for B2K, releasing solo material, and landing features on some of Hip-Hop’s biggest albums, she finally put out a new project. The seven track EP entitled “Sail Out” is a continuation of her debut mixtape “Sailing Soul(s),” which was released in 2011. This EP is a prelude to her debut album “Souled Out” which is expected to release some time next year.

The EP starts out with a subtle smooth tempo-sounding track called “The Vapors” featuring Vince Staples. This song gives off a relaxed vibe as it implies her medicinal use, but it can be interpreted as her love for life. Underground rapper, Vince Staples delivers the perfect verse for this song.

Her single “Bed Peace” features the multitalented Childish Gambino. In this song, both of the artists play on the topic of a successful relationship and love. Many of Aiko’s fans began to question whether the two are in a relationship of their own.

Track three “Stay Ready (What a Life)” is receiving the most hype because it features Hip-Hop’s golden boy, Kendrick Lamar. Fans of both artists know that this is not their first collaboration, and they picked up right where “Growing Apart” left off.

Just as “Stay Ready” ends it transitions into “What a Life,” and the tone goes from playful to serious as she eloquently sings on the realization of truth. On “WTH” featuring fellow TDE rapper Ab-Soul addesses how they feel when they are way too high. “The Worst” has a personal feel as Aiko explores a past relationship and how she still loves him, but he is not good for her.

The EP’s other single is “3:16AM.” The title has a lot of meaning to it. She stated on her tumblr when the song dropped, “I am born on March 16, John 3:16 is a popular bible verse, but it’s around 3 am when I have my darkest thoughts.” This song is very introspective as it discusses the struggle as a human and how one thinks on a daily basis.

The EP ends with “Comfort Inn Ending (Freestyle).” This song is a venting track where she talks to her listeners about which guy has betrayed her and why. She also touches on the death of her brother and how his death made her susceptible to vulnerability in a previous relationship.

Even with great features from as Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul and Childish Gambino, Aiko stands out as they only add to their respective song instead of make the song.

This EP puts any listener into a zone of peace and tranquility, as Jhené vocals are soothing to the ear. With her currently on Drake’s “Would You Like a Tour” tour and her expanding her fan base, 2014 maybe the year she reaches full stardom.

— Email Jerrell at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• jerrell leeper Register Contributor