Always tired? 5 tips for increasing your daily energy levels

It’s 2 p.m. and the afternoon slump hits. Whether you’re at work, in class or in the student pick-up line, fatigue can hinder your daily functions. The good news is, decreasing the likelihood of tiredness is as simple as incorporating a few easy habits into your everyday schedule.

Help ward off energy depletion by planning and incorporating these five healthy energy-boosting tips into your routine:

* Eat every meal: Even if you don’t feel hungry when you wake up, eat a satisfying breakfast to help prevent mid-morning hunger pangs. Avoid eating a heavy lunch as this can lead to an afternoon food coma and sluggish brain function. Instead, eat lighter meals and snack on healthy items throughout the day. These snacks include things like a small banana or a cup of antioxidant-rich strawberries, both of which will give you energy boosts.

* Stay hydrated: Drink lots of water and low-sugar drinks throughout the day. Fill a reusable, eco-friendly water bottle and take it with you everywhere as an easy and affordable way to help prevent dehydration. If you’re a caffeine fiend, gradually limit your coffee intake to one cup a day. More than one serving, especially late in the day, can lead to fatigue and insomnia. Also avoid crash-inducing energy drinks that give you a quick boost by siphoning energy that you could use later.

* Take a stroll: Napping isn’t always an option during the work day so instead take a break to go for a walk outside. Another option is to take a quick lap around the office to stretch your legs and loosen up, as well as visit with others. If you work in a pedestrian-friendly area, plan to walk to lunch at a nearby restaurant at least once a week. Find healthy and walkable meal options by searching online.

* Chat with others: Get away from your computer or desk and practice your social skills. Catch up with co-workers by walking to the break room or give a friend a quick ring. Laughing over jokes and stories will lighten your mood and increase your energy. If you find yourself having problems hearing others, consider taking a free hearing test at a hearing center so you can become fully engaged in your conversations. Poor hearing can be embarrassing in social situations and a Miracle Ear hearing aid may help.

* Sleep deeply: Try to fall asleep and wake up each day at consistent times, including on the weekends when it’s most tempting to sleep in. Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep a night but don’t try to catch up on lost sleep by sleeping extra the next day. A recent study that examined a number of existing findings claims that in comparison to people who regularly sleep eight hours a night, those who sleep fewer than six hours a night are 12 percent more likely to die before age 65. Just as surprising, those who sleep more than nine hours a night are 30 percent more likely.

Incorporating these healthy habits into your daily life can make a huge impact on the quality of your day. Instead of spending every afternoon walking around in a fog, take action and get back in control of your time. Small changes can make a big difference, so get started today.

Courtesy of ARAcontent