Mixtape Review: Kilo Kish – K+

Twenty two year old Kilo Kish is an amazing songstress from Florida, but currently resides in New York. Kilo Kish may be most known for her frequent collaborations with Odd Future. Her latest release is an EP entitled, “K+.” It’s a blend of smooth melodic flows, hip-hop, and R&B.

She’s not your average R&B singer though. Her way of harmonizing on weird beats is one of a kind. If one word could describe her sound, it would be “futuristic.” The beat selection for the EP complements her voice so well. She went out and picked the best production, and even got a few big name features.

“K+” begins with an intro that is a conversation between her and an anonymous person, who may be her audio engineer. Many recorded conversations appear throughout the ten track EP.

The conversation on the intro flows right into the first track “goldmine” which is really spacy, and out of this world. Earl Sweatshirt of Odd Future lended a helping hand by producing “trappin.” “Trappin” features Vince Staples, and ends with a few funny anecdotes from Earl and Vince. The next song “iou” has Kilo Kish smoothly flowing over a techno beat, while speaking on wanting love.

The EP continues with “turquoise” and “scones” which seemed like an experiment for her. “Scones” ended with another conversation describing the next track “love2k” that features ASAP Ferg.

This is probably the fan favorite, simply based off the feature, and the production from the trio VERYRVRE. It was a bit left field, because ASAP Ferg is usually known for hardcore rap songs. He stepped away from what he’s most known for, to show that he could do a solid track with anyone.

The closing song “creepwave” features the New York duo Flatbush Zombies. The name of the song really described what type of track it was going to be, because it had a very mystical feel to it.

Overall, Kilo Kish put together a solid project. This was her second full body of work that has been released. It was very well polished, and professional. Keep your eye out for Kilo Kish. She definitely has a future in the music industry.

• Jeffrey Lockhart, Contributor