Quality enhancement plan to enhance student’s critical thinking

The Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) is a five-year research project set in place here at North A&T State University to enhance students’ critical thinking skills.

QEP is the midterm report required by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools that disclose to its members, and ultimately the United States Department of Education, data that proves the University is consistently providing students with a “quality” education worthy of accreditation.      

Implementation of the program began in the summer of 2010 and course instruction began the spring 2011 semester. Over the course of 5 years, randomly selected classes within the Department of Human Performance and Leisure Studies in the School of Education, the Foreign Language Department in the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Department of Electronics, Computers and Information Technology in the School of Technology will participate in the project.  Currently, there is no system is in place for students to know which classes sections are participating.

“I think the QEP is a beneficial program and I would be happy to take one of the courses involved. It’s important to learn how to think critically so we can make important decisions on our own.  A&T hasn’t focused enough on critical thinking in the past so I think this is a great step in the right direction,” said Xavia Johnson, a senior public relations major.      

The first year of QEP is the pilot study, and while participation by the professors is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged. A comprehensive training on ways to incorporate the critical thinking elements into their classes is not given to official QEP professors, but some strategies are suggested. Many of them are discussed at the monthly workshops, otherwise known as institutes, organized by the QEP Advisory Council headed by Dr. Pedro Nino. These institutes provide resources on ways to convey the student learning outcomes within the classroom.

The five critical thinking learning outcomes of the program will focus on improving students’ abilities to analyze critical thought, evaluate information, design strategies to solve problems, synthesize findings, and communicate effectively in written and oral communications.

The workshops are open to all faculty and staff, and later some will encourage some student participation.

Some workshop participants who are not official QEP classes have participated and thus saw the potential it had to enhance the classroom experience and voluntarily decided to unofficially participate.

Senior electronic media and journalism major, Chris Crenshaw said, “Being able to communicate effectively is vital to be successful in any career path.  I think many A&T students will learn a lot about critical thinking and reasoning through the QEP program.  I feel as though it is long overdue.”

An incentive to encourage faculty participation is the Funding for Faculty Program, also known as the “Three F Program.” Professors have the opportunity to compete for small funding assistance, to attend the spring 2011 Critical Thinking Workshop sponsored by the Foundation and Center for Critical Thinking.

“When professors go and learn from the experts, then come back and engage the campus, we feel it will promote a culture of critical thinking learning communities among the students,” said Dr. Nino.  

A committee of 21 faculty members with representation from all seven schools and colleges, Bluford Library, the Department of Graduate Studies, and the University Studies program was created in the fall of 2007 to develop the QEP initiatives.  A total of 14 student representatives were active on the committee as well.

The Advisory Committee has projected a budget of $418,776 to the first two years of the QEP project and $625,534 for the final three years, totaling of $1,044,310.

Funding comes from a Title III Grant and will pay the department operation costs, which includes the salaries of all personnel, office equipment, standardized testing to gather data, and professional development measures such as the monthly workshops.  QEP is a substantial investment that the university believes will be of great benefit to both faculty and students.  

“The ultimate goal of the QEP project is to get students to consider various perspectives to make educated decisions that are well informed so they can make positive decisions in the personal and professional lives,” Dr. Nino.   

In an effort to remain as transparent as possible, a draft of the official QEP Report is available on the official QEP website linked to A&T homepage for review and discussion. In addition, summaries of the major components of the project will continuously be updated as well.

Anyone associated with the University, especially students, are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the QEP project and questions can be directed to the advisory committee. The University in turn will also benefit greatly.

• Jessica Grissom and LaRIa Land