American Horror Story: Is witching hour upon us?

Pop culture has always had an obsession with gore and scares.  Halloween is right around the corner, and non-stop thrillers are what should be expected on television.

Twilight romanticized and modernized the vampire lifestyle. The days of blood, gore, and Dracula chasing fair maidens are long gone. Team Jacob blazed the trail for networks like MTV to create the hot and mysterious persona for “Teen Wolf.”  “True Blood” and “Harry Potter” brought sorcery, voodoo, and spells to life on the big screen. With season three of “American Horror Story,” it seems that the witching hour is upon us again.

American Horror Story, known for its eerie story lines and twisted plots, did not disappoint on Wednesday night for the season premier.  Instead of tales of demons and possessions, season three will take a deeper look into the world of witchcraft.

The first episode of the season introduced Zoe, played by Taissa Farmiga, a young teen who realizes she possesses special gifts. Fearing for her daughter’s safety, her mother ships her off to New Orleans to attend Miss Robichaux’s Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies. Upon arrival, Zoe notices this is not just any regular boarding school. In fact, this academy is a safe haven for young girls who are the few remaining descents of a long line of witches. Each young witch has a special gift and it is intended for her to learn and practice her skills while enrolled in the academy. It is safe to assume, Zoe’s story will be great.

Viewers of the show are also introduced to a cast filled with familiar Hollywood faces.  Angela Bassett plays Marie Laveau, voodoo queen of the New Orleans bayou. This role is dark in comparison to roles Bassett has had in the past, but it is nice to see that she is the leading lady and not just a guest appearance. Kathy Bates, playing Madame LaLauvie, returns to her “Misery” roots favoring twisted and cynical. Jessica Lange returns to season three as Fiona Goode, the Supreme witch. Emma Roberts and Gabourey Sidibe both play gifted students of Miss Robichaux’s Academy. Needless to say, there will be plenty of conflict between Lange’s and Bassett’s characters considering both are playing head women in charge.

Season three definitely started with a boom. Previews for episode two and the remaining season ensure that the plot will grow and twist at every turn. The same eerie feeling that caught viewers’ attention in the beginning is what makes it hard to look away. With clues being revealed and flashbacks between past and present, one would be afraid to blink and miss a detail.

“American Horror Story: Coven” could not have picked a better location than New Orleans because of its rich yet mysterious culture. Story writers do an excellent job of taking audiences beyond the Salem witch hunt and focusing on witchcraft in the U.S.

Overall, for a season opener, “American Horror Story: Coven” receives an A plus. The gore was to a minimum and historical references were a major benefit. The depth and backstories of these characters is what will keep the audience invested and involved

— Email Kourtney at  [email protected]  and follow The A&T Register on Twitter @TheATRegisterPop culture has always had an obsession with gore and scares.  Halloween is right around the corner, and non-stop thrillers are what should be expected on television.

— Email Kourtney at  [email protected]  and follow The A&T Register on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Kourtney Pope Scene Editor