UNC sends information about Hansbrough’s mother to NCAA

CHAPEL HILL (AP) — North Carolina has provided information to the NCAA about the hiring of the mother of former basketball star Tyler Hansbrough as a fundraiser and her travels.

In documents faxed to the NCAA on Sept. 13, the school included summaries of Tami Hansbrough’s trips in March 2009 that coincided with her son’s games in the Atlantic Coast Conference and NCAA tournaments.

The school said then-athletic director Dick Baddour and assistant athletic director for compliance Amy Herman reviewed the trips and determined no violations took place. Athletic spokesman Steve Kirschner said Saturday the fax was meant to brief the NCAA following media reports and the school isn’t reporting a violation.

Hansbrough raised about $5 million for the dental school foundation before moving to another university fundraising job in 2011. She resigned this month after questions arose about spending on trips she took with top UNC fundraiser Matt Kupec, who also has resigned.

Those trips included destinations where her younger son, Ben, was playing basketball for Notre Dame.

Hansbrough’s trips to Atlanta and Memphis, Tenn., during Tyler’s senior season were later approved as legitimate because she reported meeting with potential donors as the Tar Heels went on to win the NCAA championship.

In a cover letter to NCAA assistant director for enforcement Mike Zonder, UNC general counsel Leslie Strohm wrote that Hansbrough was selected for the dental school foundation job in 2008 by a five-member search committee from a pool of 41 candidates.

She was chosen for the university fundraising job by a six-member search committee from a pool of 38 candidates, according to Strohm’s letter.

• Associated Press