Pulitzer prize-winning reporter visits A&T for Text-in-Community

This year’s freshmen got a slightly bigger advantage in avoiding the infamous “Freshman 15” that preys on new college students every year.

Michael Moss’s No. 1 Bestseller “Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us” was selected as this year’s Text-in-Community book.

The Text-in-Community (TIC) common reading program is in its 10th year at N.C. A&T. A campus-wide survey is conducted and suggestions are taken from students in order to select a book that will promote knowledge as well as a variety of disciplines that all students can relate to.

Moss, a New York Times investigative reporter, visited A&T yesterday to talk about his new book that was released in March.

“Salt Sugar Fat” reveals how the food industry has addicted American to life-threatening and obesity causing ingredients in order to make more money.

“They’re not just getting us to like their products. They’re getting us to want more and more,” he said in a panel discussion with A&T professors and students.

Moss explained how companies use certain ingredients to enhance the taste of foods. One of the primary ingredients is salt. As a result of consumers’ addiction to some of  these ingredients, 1-in-3 adults are clinically obese, and food companies are aware the problem.   

Moss has been investigating the food industry for almost five years, and in 2010, he received the Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting.

“We wanted a book that was going to be impactful and change lives,” said Beverly Grier, co-chair of the Text-in-Community committee. “It touches upon an issue that affects everyone’s life, especially the African-American community.”

Gestational diabetes occurs more frequently in African-Americans.  

“There was some research going back decades where the food companies discovered that Blacks, especially, like a someone sweeter, somewhat tastier formulation in their snacks.”  

Grier explained that the committee,

• Karmen Robinson, Editor-in-Chief