Ask a Black Girl: The Valentine’s Day special edition

For this special edition of The A&T Register, we decided to reverse Ask a Black Guy and shine the spotlight on black women.

What are your plans for Valentine’s Day?

Girl #1 No plans at all. It’s just another day as far as I’m concerned.

Girl #2 If I have a Valentine I will probably go out. But if not, I will be at home or hanging out with my girlfriends.

Girl #3 I have no plans because I don’t have a Valentine. So I guess I will sit at home and watch love stories and go to sleep.

Do you think “black love” is on the decline? Why or why not?

Girl #1 Yes. I know a lot of guys don’t want to be in a relationship (regardless of their age). Too many guys just want all the benefits of the relationship, but don’t want the actual title. A lot of guys just want to do what they want to do. It’s based off physical pleasures and not friendship.

Girl #2 I think all love is actually. Divorce rates are at an all time high. So to say its just black love is ignorant because it is not just black love. It is all love.

Girl #3 Not really because all love is on decline as far as I’m concerned. All the old people in love are dying and they aren’t passing down the wisdom on how to make it work. So now we are all falling in and out of love every single day.

In your honest opinion, what goes through your mind when you see a black man and a white woman together?

Girl #1 Doesn’t bother me too much. I would honestly date a white guy, so I see no problem with black guys dating white girls.

Girl #2 My first thought is that he must have had a bad experience with black women. And then my second thought is that the sex must be great.

Girl #3 Nothing to be honest. To me it is no different than seeing a white man and a black woman. Does nothing to me. I’m from a white town so I’ve seen it all the time.

What’s the most attractive thing a man could do to get your attention?

Girl #1 The way he approaches me. I hate getting complimented on my breast or my butt. If he says things like “you are attractive, I would like to get to know you,” then that is the guy I will be with.

Girl #2 I love it when men sing to me. Even if he can’t sing, I love it when a guy at least tries.

Girl #3 Being a good dresser and having nice hair is perhaps the sexiest thing in the world to me.

What does a guy have to do to make you mad?

Girl #1 I don’t like liars. Nothing is worse than a guy who will openly lie to me. And a lack of communication is another thing that can just kill any relationship.

Girl #2 All he has to do is be inconsiderate. If I feel that you have no regards for my feelings then we have nothing to talk about. He would be better off slapping me in the face.

Girl #3 I HATE bad attitudes! People who just always have a quick temper are so annoying and such a turn off to me.

I know a lot of men feel that women don’t do simple things such as cook and clean like the older generations. Do you think this is true?

Girl #1 I agree because I know for sure that I never cook. Personally, my mother never made me do stuff like that so I’m used to not doing stuff like that. I think I could do it if I had to, but I’ve never been forced to do it so I wouldn’t know.

Girl #2 I feel like I am the exception to the rule but I would have to agree. From talking to my friends, I know that a lot of girls don’t do stuff like that. Girls are too independent these days. All the ones who don’t do it are single and unhappy too.

Girl #3 Sadly, yes. I tried to cook but I failed. So I try to clean as much as possible to make up for it.

How do you feel about there being very little black men in college?

Girl #1 It is sad because I think men are a product of bad environments and situations. Living in low-income houses, fighting jail, teenage fathers, etc. are all factors to why we have such a select few in school. And it is sad that they have to battle these issues as opposed to battling each other in the classroom.

Girl #2 It really sucks. I want a man who has a degree just like me. However, a lot of men don’t have one. So that makes it harder for a woman to find a good man.

Girl #3 I don’t feel like there are very little black men in college to be honest. Since I go to school here, I see them all the time. I know numbers say one thing, but I see something else.

Do you think black women nag a lot?

Girl #1 Yes! Because a lot of women complain but are never satisfied. We complain about every little thing and we set our standards way too high. No one is perfect but for whatever reason we expect for our men to come in and become Superman.

Girl #2 All the time. They nag about it being too cold outside, or not putting the cap back on toothpaste. Women nag just because they think they are stronger than what they are. So they think if they nag then they are going to change a man but that is completely wrong because a man is going to be a man.

Girl #3 I think all women nag a lot. Nobody knows why we do, but we do. I think its common knowledge that women always nag. Men need to get over it.

How do you feel about the image of black women in the media?

Girl #1 It honestly reminds me of the slave days. They allow people to use us for our bodies and not our minds. It’s kind of sad actually.

Girl #2 Not sure how to feel about it. You got your Maya Angelou’s and your Oprah’s, but then again you got the “video hoes” too so black women are viewed in two different extremes. Both are strong, but you see them in totally different lights.

Girl #3 I think it’s negative. They always portray us as being ghetto, having an attitude, being rude and too strong. It gets kind of old.

What is one of the main issues black women face on a day-to-day basis, and how do you think black women can overcome that?

Girl #1 We are insecure. You can tell from how they carry themselves. Appreciate yourself for who you are and who you want to become. If you know how to treat yourself then when the right man comes he will know how to treat you too.

Girl #2 That’s a hard one. I think we need to fix our attitudes. We think everyone is always out to get us and that is not the case. My best advice would be to stop being so overly emotional. Regardless of the situation, everything is not that serious.

Girl #3 Women in the work place have it the worse. Anything a man can do, a woman can do as well but she better work twice as hard to get it. My best advice to them is to stay strong and further your education so we can create more positive figures.