C.A.S.E. in point, students should serve up more community service hours

The word serve is defined as being useful, rendering commitment and contributing to purpose. It is also the root word in term service. However, many of us define service as a requirement to graduate, a resume booster or another source of gain for ourselves.As the future generation of leaders, inventors and activists, we take the act of service for granted. The purpose behind doing service should not include any self-benefit; it should be a passionate act of giving. How many of us really consider the change and lessons that come out of commitment, giving and sacrifice?A&T does provide numerous community service projects and opportunities, but the mindset behind students performing service is not sincere enough. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of students I see doing community service every weekend, but there are also just as many or more students who only do community service to graduate or for resume purposes.This past weekend two A&T students performed what I considered to be sincere and passionate community service.  Joseph Escobar and Chris Hand went looking around Greensboro this past weekend with 300 sandwiches to feed the homeless. No one called to ask them to help feed the homeless, nor did they call Student Development to make sure they would be rewarded service hours for completing the task. They just did it. True service comes from the heart. When you see a need in your community or a purpose you can contribute towards that is service. Helping the older women carry her bag across campus is serving your community. Going out into the local communities finding out what issues are concerning residents and providing solutions is serving your community. Even more specifically, fighting for changes and creating opportunities right here within the A&T community, whether you see the benefits or not, is providing service.Participating in annual walks is great, but your service to your community should not stop there. Miss Senior 2008-2009,Emilee Christopher, went beyond her duties as Miss Senior to provide an opportunity to students to help their community directly. Christopher went to food pantries in the city of Greensboro to discover that many of them were empty. Families in need were in danger of not having food and even formula for babies. Christopher created the ARK movement, which consisted of students donating can foods and non-perishables to restock the food pantries. Not only did students donate food, but they also went into the surrounding student housing complexes convincing other students to donate to the cause. At the end of the ARK movement, there were enough can foods and non-perishables to not only feed five families in need, but also replenish the stock in the local food pantries. Christopher held a ceremony in Stallings Ballroom to present the five families with their gift boxes and as a participant in the ARK movement, it was truly touching to witness the joy and gratefulness in the eyes of these families that were the recipients of our service.Just like Christopher, Escobar and Hand, we should also go out into our communities and see where service is truly in need. In order for us to become effective leaders, inventors and activists, we must first learn how to be servants. How can you provide change for communities if you cannot humble and find passion in serving them first?Community service should not become another “thing” to do during your career at A&T. Service is an act of sacrifice, it is not about you and it never will be. Some of the most historic figures today were the result of admiration in someone who showed commitment in their lives. Remember, the life that you touch through service today may be the same life to change generations in future. 

• Ashley Reid