A predeployment checklist for military families

One of the more difficult parts of having a family member in the military is deployment. This can be particularly hard for a spouse and children. Having open communication and planning ahead can make this ordeal easier for everyone.

Setting up a planning list can help all members of the family – including the soldier – feel more prepared for the duration of deployment. Consider this military deployment checklist for families:

Financial concerns

When a spouse is deployed, typically one person is left to handle the household’s finances. You may want to consider making sure bank accounts are arranged so that both spouse’s names are listed and they have equal access. It’s also a smart idea to make a list of all bills due each month to ensure each is paid on-time.

Since your spouse will be out of the country, make sure you decide on a plan for his or her pay while deployed so you can continue to maintain your home and family. Setting up direct deposit is often an easy solution.

Important personal documents

Before your spouse is deployed, you should consider gathering a number of personal documents and put them in order. Make sure military records are up to date and you have the necessary copies stored safely. Having medical records for your spouse and your entire family is important also. Keep a list of emergency contacts on hand as well as other important numbers for easy access.

You can also consider having your spouse designate you as power of attorney. Being designated power of attorney will allow you to make legal and financial decisions for your spouse to act in his stead. This is also a good time to make sure that the soldier’s life insurance and will are current. Review both to ensure beneficiaries are up to date and meet with a lawyer if necessary. Spouses of deployed soldiers should keep copies of these documents in a safe place such as a safety deposit box.

Get family support

The emotional strain for a family who has a member deployed can be heavy, particularly for children. A third of military children who have a parent deployed in a war zone are at high risk for psychological problems, according to a study reported by CNN.

A variety of military and community support networks are available to help with children and deployment. It’s also important to spend time prior to the departure talking about how each person feels and what to expect in the future. Communicating with younger children can be particularly difficult and you may want to use something or someone familiar as an aid. For example, Sesame Workshop has a DVD where recognizable characters like Elmo help discuss a family member’s deployment on a kid’s level. The military can also be of assistance by providing educational brochures and other guidance.