Howard’s Trayvon Martin video sparks racist response

One particular response to Howard’s recent “Am I Suspicious” Trayvon Martin video is a shocking and painful reminder of the degree of racial hatred that is still prevalent in American society.

The response video, “Hey, Young N*ggers at Howard,” was removed from YouTube for its violation of the site’s policy against “hate speech”

The response video featured a male voice, hidden behind a picture of a man in a sombrero with the words “I Am George Zimmerman” written across the screen.

The man identifies himself as a “white Hispanic” and expresses his extreme disapproval for the public—and Howard’s, in particular—campaign against racial profiling. He argues that Zimmerman, and Hispanics, like himself are not racist and that African Americans need to stop creating trouble and making excuses for our misfortune.

The video is filled with “n-word” references. Ironically, the speaker told Howard students to go back to school and learn something because, in his opinion, our views about racism are incorrect and imaginary.

The Martin case and the responses to it demonstrate the continued inability to honestly and adequately address the consequences of race and racism in America. Hateful rants full of prejudice and frustration do not count.

As a country, we still refuse to acknowledge that our judgments and assumptions about the way people look, behave, dress, and even speak, are all indicative of our prejudices. 

Attacking a group of college students for taking a stand is further proof of the depth of our post-racial delusions.

• Black College Wire