Wet winter weather to blame for buggy summer

(ARA) – Long winters, hot summers, violent storms – the weather caused many headlines this past year. Meteorologists blame La Nina, which dumped record amounts of rain, sleet and snow across the country. That’s not all La Nina is responsible for – it’s also creating the perfect environment for unwelcome insects.

“When conditions are warm and wet, pests begin to swarm in search of food, shelter and mates,” says Dr. Bob Davis, an entomologist for BASF Pest Control Solutions. “Unfortunately, this search brings many of these insects inside, where they can create a nuisance and destroy property.”

Just how bad your pest problem will be depends on the region where you live and your most recent weather.

The South

With hot, humid summers and temperate winters, the South offers ideal conditions for a wide range of pests, including many species of ants.

“Ants live in nests just below the soil surface, so once the ground gets soaked, they quickly begin moving their nests to higher locations,” Davis says.

Ant populations are expected to grow this spring causing homeowners to research how to get rid of ants. For example, the Caribbean crazy ant is spreading from multiple counties in Texas and may now be in Louisiana.

The threat of termite infestations also could intensify in Florida, Georgia and surrounding states. Swarms occur when winged termites leave the nest to form new colonies – often right after a rainfall. Southeastern drywood termites, often found in the extreme southeastern states, can infest buildings, eating structural timbers, pieces of furniture, flooring, doors, window trim, even wooden picture frames.

The West

Colder-than-normal temperatures and heavy precipitation hit many areas hard. While the snow is a blessing to drought-stricken California, it also sets the stage for heavier-than-normal bug infestations.

One frequent menace is the Western subterranean termite. This native pest can enter structures through cracks less than 1/16 inch wide, including tiny openings in concrete slabs, around drain pipes and between the slab and a home’s foundation.

The wet conditions will also create a field day for ants, including the highly invasive Argentine ant, whose massive colonies can be found along the West Coast as well as parts of the eastern and Gulf Coast states.

“The Argentine ant has few natural enemies here, so they can quickly knock out the native ants,” Davis says. “When Argentine ants get inside a house, they’re a force to be reckoned with.”

Red imported fire ants have also invaded parts of the West. They are extremely resilient and can survive both floods and droughts. Fire ants characteristically become ferocious if their nests are disturbed, and their painful stings carry venom that can be highly unpleasant or even lethal.

The Midwest

Soil moisture conditions in the Midwest are categorized as “extremely or very moist.” The residual effect could be a proliferation of household pests that thrive in damp conditions, such as silverfish and spiders.

Moisture also increases the odds of termite invasions, especially in Missouri, Iowa, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. The southern parts of Wisconsin and Minnesota may also see need for termite control, particularly from the Eastern subterranean termite. This native pest feeds on cellulose materials, including structural wood, wood fixtures, paper, books and cotton and will even attack the roots of shrubs and trees.

In the colder northern states, carpenter ants are a greater threat to homeowners. Carpenter ants – which include some of the largest ant species in the United States – prefer to nest in trees next to homes, but they’ll come inside to nest if they can’t find enough wood outside.

The Northeast

Record snowfall and rain in the Northeast combined with warming temperatures will create attractive conditions for a variety of invaders.

Mature carpenter ants produce swarmers that spend their winters in nests and take flight in the spring. Indoor carpenter ants may be seen trailing along edges of cabinets, floors and furniture.

The brown marmorated stink bug is a new invasive species introduced in Pennsylvania in the 1990s. It has spread to 33 states and can cause severe agricultural damage. Large numbers of these stink bugs can enter your homes and businesses in the fall.

If you suspect an infestation of any type, Davis recommends you call a professional pest control expert. You can find a pest professional in your area by visiting TermidorHome.com. For other information about termites and ants, visit www.termiteinstitute.com and www.antinstitute.com.